What do you think of these snails?

That is an amazing price!

Sometimes, whelks are mistakenly sold as nassarius snails (it's happened to me). Whelks can be predatorial, so you may want to compare pictures of whelks to the snails in those photos to make sure you're actually getting the good guys!

Indo Pacific Snails

I think the periwinkle snails will eventually die. They are a cold water snail and even though it says they can survive extreme temps, they will eventually die being at 78-82. I think they also need macro algae to eat. So that could be another limiting factor.

Good deal on the nass though

well my snails arrived today. All of them were alive. Upon opening the bag it was clear that I did not receive the stated amount of 20 but rather 60! I put 30 in my tank but holding out the other half. Offered them up to local reefers.

took the other 30 back to a LFS for credit. Got 10 bucks so I bought me the big container of Tropic Marin bio-calcium. So I pretty much got my 30 snails for free.

so has everything been cool with the nass snails you got? i'm just about to place my order...

how many nass snails should i get for my 75?

i've got about 2 inches of sand in the deepest parts... and the tank foot print is 18x48 give or take an inch...

Yea, I was going to order 20 for my 24 gallon but Im wondering if that is too many. Is there some kind of guideline for snails per lb of sand or something?

i dunno, thats why i asked, but i havent heard anything yet...

i went ahead and ordered 20 nass for my 75, i'll see how that goes and go from there, actually i'm thinking that i'll put 15 in the 75 and put 5 in my fuge... but maybe not, i dunno, i'll let you know how my experience goes...

I dont care for some many snails per gallon rule.
You want just enough to keep the tank clean.Some tanks,5 or 6 snails might do the trick,in others,it might 40 or 50.Just depends on how much algae needs to be taken care of.

Back