What does this mean?

nensley

Reefing newb
Hi! I ran into my LFS yesterday to get some frozen food. I was in a hurry, but a sale caught my eye! :mrgreen: A 90 gallon "reef ready" tank. I could not look at it long or ask questions (LFS is closed today), but it said something about "overflow", which I thought might have something to do with filtration??? Can someone explain what "reef ready" and "over flow" mean? I still feel so new, I think I should know these things by now. But up until a few months ago, I was flying by the seat of my pants. Then I found new LFS and you guys!!:^:

Oh my goodness, I so want that tank!!!!!

Thanks!!

"Reef Ready" means that it has the equipment to create a reef tank, all you really need is the live creatures.

I think an overflow is to keep your sump from overflowing. Someone else can explain that.

an overflow is something like this

intern6.jpg

it is a box that is sealed off from the rest of the tank so that water "overflows" off the surface of the water into the box where typically there is a hole drilled into the back of your tank where the water then drops down to your sump (smaller tank underneather your display tank) that is your filter for this tank. you then have a return pump that pumps the water at the end of the sump back up into your main tank.

there are also hang on back overflows that also pull surface water but do not require drilling the glass where the water gets syphoned through a U tube over the back of the aquarium to another box where it is then drained down into the sump.

like so

overflow.jpg

yep it saves the time of putting everything together and buying a ton of stuff. for a beginner its wonderful. As you continue the hobby your future tanks you will want to set up exactly how you want it, but if its already setup it would be great for you

Reef ready also means that the tank is already drilled -- it has holes in the bottom so the water goes through the overflow and down into the sump.

your set up will not include live rock. if it is prices well, go for it.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Thanks guys! It is still a lot of money, but I am turning 30 next month and I might just talk my hubby into buying me a great birthday present!!

yup

this is an overflow
overflow.jpg

but not on a reef ready tank
A reef ready tank has the overflow built in so all the plumbing is contained on the inside like this

newtank004.jpg

If the deal is great I would get the tank
if you dont have the money for the Sump you can alwayse
plumb in shut off valves for the overflow, like this

newtank002.jpg

that would allow you to add a sump at a later time.
Post pictures, you know we LOVE pictures,

I really want to get a tank that is already reef ready, now that I know what that means. I don't want to have to be drilling and/or plumbing myself, KWIM? I like the idea of just handing over my credit card and then having it delivered to my house, ready to go. Thanks again!!

I really want to get a tank that is already reef ready, now that I know what that means. I don't want to have to be drilling and/or plumbing myself, KWIM? I like the idea of just handing over my credit card and then having it delivered to my house, ready to go. Thanks again!!

you will still have to do SOME plumbing, but it MUCH easier with a RR tank.

Back