What else to put in...

RocketSapp

Reefing newb
OK, so as I had said in another post I was going to test my water and get some live rock for my little 20 gallon tank, which I set up next to my desk. After a rather poorly timed visit to the ER it was obvious that I was not going to get it done earlier in the week. So now that I am feeling better I'll be getting the LR to put into the tank to start the cycle of the base rock that I have in the tank.

This is going to be FOWLR wile I am finishing off the stand for my big tank. I'll also use some of this rock to see the big tank once I set it up.

So, while this tank is cycling I am starting to think about a stocking list. I think I want to have a few shrimp in this tank and maybe one fish. I love the looks of the peppermint shrimp and maybe another type of shrimp just so it's not all the same thing. I was also thinking about some of the small crabs and a few snails. I am just not sure what all I should get along with the shrimp.

As for the fish, I am thinking maybe a Ocellaris Clownfish, primarily because my wife wants a Clownfish. That one is smaller and according to liveaquaria.com they will work in a 20 gallon tank and are a good beginner SW fish.

My problem is while the LA site is great, they don't really tell me what can be mixed and matched. Am I safe in a 20 gallon tank to go with 5 or 6 shrimp, a Clownfish, and a cool little clean up crew?

Anyone else want to suggest a good selection for me?

Tim

So, if anyone is interested, here is a quick photo of what I have set up.

SW_20Gallion_700px.jpg

Sorry for the low quality photo... it's late and I did not want to pull out the camera so I just snapped this with my phone.

Tim

Are you sure you want that many shrimp? It should be ok, but there could be some fighting. Have you looked into cleaner shrimp or blood shrimp to try? I think in a 20 you can have up to two small fish. A clownfish and one more fish should be ok. Clean up crew maybe at most 5 hermits (I don't really like them). Snails are the best. You can get a wide variety such as ceriths, dwarf ceriths, nerites, nassarius, astreas, turbos, etc.

Are you sure you want that many shrimp? It should be ok, but there could be some fighting. Have you looked into cleaner shrimp or blood shrimp to try? I think in a 20 you can have up to two small fish. A clownfish and one more fish should be ok. Clean up crew maybe at most 5 hermits (I don't really like them). Snails are the best. You can get a wide variety such as ceriths, dwarf ceriths, nerites, nassarius, astreas, turbos, etc.

Thanks for the info on the Shrimp. Based off your reply I started looking at having multiple shrimp in a single tank. It appears that I should be able to have multiple shrimp in the tank as long as I have only two of each kind, and having two different types. So I may go with two Peppermint Shrimp and maybe two of one other type...

But then again, I may go with just the two shrimp and then two or three fish. The wife really wants a clown fish, so I can't get out of having one in a tank. I could put it off until the big tank is ready so I don't have to get one right now. But I would still like to have a fish or two in this tank until the big tank is ready,

Today I dropped by the LFS and picked up some LR rubble and put into the tank. I did rinse it off with some tank water, and I hope I did not do anything wrong by doing that. I checked all the parameters and everything is looking good so far. Now I do need to figure out how I am going to stock the tank.

FYI, I did go over to ReefCleaners.org last night and I think I am going to order a quick crew once the tank is done cycling.

Tim

In my 20g tank I have two clowns, one orange and one black. The combo is really cool. I also have one fire shrimp, they are stunning.
image.jpg

Back