What equipment is needed in sump?

Angelajean

I know that I don't know
Hello,
I have a 90 reef tank drilled with a 40 gallon sump that holds around 25 gallons water. We are going to redo our sump into a 29 because the 40 is just too big for the shelf it's on. I would like to have enough room for an Ato which my husband is going to make in the near future.

I have a protein skimmer and a return pump with some live rock and sand as well as a small amount of chaeto and a light.

I was looking at various equipment that people run and I see GFO/carbon reactors, phosphate reactor, UV sterilizer, etc.

What is necessary for a reef tank with fish?
Thanks for the help. This gets confusing sometimes, but I am a quick learner.
Angie

I prefer the K.I.S.S. principle...Skimmer, refugium, return pump. No reactors no sterilizers not even a filter sock. As far as keeping trace elements in the water. Well that is what water changes are for.

An ATO is useful and most people wouldn't go without one. Same for a protein skimmer. I, personally, wouldn't go without a refugium. You can make part of the sump into a refugium. I always ran a dual carbon/GFO reactor (from Bulk Reef Supply -- BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor ).

Most people don't use a UV sterilizer. I wouldn't use one.

An ATO is useful and most people wouldn't go without one. Same for a protein skimmer. I, personally, wouldn't go without a refugium. You can make part of the sump into a refugium. I always ran a dual carbon/GFO reactor (from Bulk Reef Supply -- BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor ).

Most people don't use a UV sterilizer. I wouldn't use one.
The plan is to have 3 sections: skimmer, refugium, return with a bubble trap. Not sure where to do the bubble trap.

I do not quite understand the pros and cons of the GFO carbon reactor. I found a used RO/DI the 4 stage one from BRS for $70 and a BRS GFO carbon reactor for $30. Do I need an additional pump for it?

Thanks,
Angie

A carbon or GFO reactor will need a pump. For the BRS ones, a MaxiJet is included as an option that is sold with them.

GFO and carbon reactors are two different things, although BRS sells a dual reactor (the one I linked to) that runs both carbon and GFO at the same time. Both are used to clean and purify your water -- specifically, GFO removes phosphates and is probably the easiest, safest and cheapest way to keep phosphates low in your aquarium.

Back