What has your clown hosted?

KatiB

Reefing newb
I have heard some interesting stories about clownfish hosting to things other than a host anemone. Just wondering (while I wait patiently for months to get fishies) what some people have experienced with hosting clownfish. :) Fun, unusual, not so good.... etc. :)

LOL fun. I asked because I know anemone are not recommended for new tanks, or nanos....and because I am sooooo cliche and love clownfish and want one, I figured they'd find alternatives. :)

Just noticed you are in Indiana. Wanted to welcome another midwesterner:Cheers:

Where about are you? Im about 30 minutes from the border just south of Chicago

OK if you were closer, I would ask what LFS you go to:mrgreen: I have been known to drive 45 minutes to different stores just to scope them out

haha I love my LFS! They don't sell to sell. They ask a bunch of questions about the tank, set up etc.....and tell what will/won't play nicely together. And they put up with my questions.. LOL Huge plus there. :D

Ekkkk....How is this different than an anemone in a smaller reef tank? (Other than the easy to keep part... hehe)

" It is somewhat aggressive, however, and can harm sessile invertebrates and overgrow other inhabitants of the reef." LiveAquaria.com

But just because you have either a hairy mushroom or an anenome in your tank, dont assume the clown fish will host it. I have hairy mushrooms in my tank yet my clown still hosts the patch of hair algae. It seems that it is a 50/50 chance

But just because you have either a hairy mushroom or an anenome in your tank, dont assume the clown fish will host it. I have hairy mushrooms in my tank yet my clown still hosts the patch of hair algae. It seems that it is a 50/50 chance

hehe ya that is what I heard. Tis why I asked. Still learning lots. :) I have heard them hosting powerheads, a boat, a sign....lots of diff things...

I liked the idea of the colors etc even if it doesn't get hosted. But I want to make sure I am not biting off more than I can chew. lol (no I am not gonna eat the mushrooms :D)

Mushrooms are an excelent beginner coral. Very hard to kill, dont require excelent water conditions, something that is hard to achieve when you are just starting out, or powerfull lighting.

Another good beginer coral are Zoanthids and Palys. Both come in all the colors of the rainbow.

Ekkkk....How is this different than an anemone in a smaller reef tank? (Other than the easy to keep part... hehe)

" It is somewhat aggressive, however, and can harm sessile invertebrates and overgrow other inhabitants of the reef." LiveAquaria.com

I think that's misleading. They are no different than other mushrooms as far as stinging goes. It's true that they grow very quickly -- you have to keep them in check. When I get home, I'll post a pic of my colony and my clowns.

Mushrooms are an excelent beginner coral. Very hard to kill, dont require excelent water conditions, something that is hard to achieve when you are just starting out, or powerfull lighting.

Another good beginer coral are Zoanthids and Palys. Both come in all the colors of the rainbow.

Cool! I like color. And easy to start is always a plus. :)

I think that's misleading. They are no different than other mushrooms as far as stinging goes. It's true that they grow very quickly -- you have to keep them in check. When I get home, I'll post a pic of my colony and my clowns.

Thank you ! I love pics :D

+1 BJ +1 Biff

And with a hairymushroom if it dies oh well. If your anenome dies the poison that comes from it can kill everything. I like hairy mushrooms, I just can't find any.

Mushrooms also a good call. I initally didn't want mushrooms (sounded kinda' girly) I bought one mushroom, and my rock had some hitchhiker mushrooms, they're some of my favorite things in my tank.

Plus, if your mushrooms spread like crazy, at least you can make money off of them :D There are always people wanting to buy them, and you can get store credit for them too.

Back