what i need to purchase?

joeyv

Reefing newb
hey everyone,

i think i am going with a tenecor aquarium, good or bad?
also i think i know what lighting and filtering i am doing but as for in the tank what are your suggestion?

what kind of live rock?
what kind of sand?
or anything else anyone would recommend?

When it comes to live rock,Just pick Pick out what you like.Some types are more pourous and lighter.Some is not so pourous and heavier.I personaly have carribean in my 30 and Fiji in my 55.But you can mix and match it as much as you like.
When it comes to sand,Aragonite based.The dry is cheaper,but you have to rinse it out good or it will cloud your tank.
Live sand will cost a little more,but its " supposed" to already have some good bacteria in it.I would stay away from the crushed coral.Some folks say it traps nitrates,I just dont like how it looks after a few months.
I have never heard of Tenecor aquariums,so I cant say either way there.I will say to go with the biggest your budget can handle.

yea i am trying to save as much as i can. i am just being patient cause i dont want to rush anything in this hobby. i want like a 125-150g, any suggestion on heater? i am not going to have coral at first anyways, maybe some hardy stuff down the rode, but the aquarium i found comes with a lighting package (Sunpaq 520watts) would that be good?

I've seen the Tenecor at a fishstore in Nashville.All I can say is nice and expensive.I remember pricing it(a 200gallon reef ready system) simple rectangular setup,good grief it was 4x the price of my All-Glass.All I can say if you have the dough,why not.Since your going all out,your probably want/need additional flow.I would go 4 Tunze Nanostreams.,maybe even on a wavemaker.
There are other good ones like Hydor Koralia and uber expensive Vortech.

Liverock,I would with go with what you like best.I like the Tonga deepwater,Marshall Island,Uaniva,Kalieni...there are so many with exotic names.I have Uaniva and Tonga branch personally.The more porous the better,BTW.

Sand,personally whatever you choose make sure its aragonite base sand.Remember the finer the grade the easier it is to get blown around.My favorite is really the Fiji Pink and Oolitic sand.

Look at a good skimmer,there's so many so I can't recommend one over another.I'll being going ASM G3 or G4 on my big project.

Can you tell me what your going with filtration and lighting,I'm looking at my options also?

Last edited:
I like the Stealth heater,they are the ones encase in plastic.Very reliable and accurate.Two of the 250w will work or 3 200w.The Sunpags should allow you to keep soft and LPS corals when you get ready.

Last edited:
1. Deciede on what type of live stock your going to house 2.How much money are you going to invest..Then you can make some calls on tanks,heater, chillers(if needed)what size and type of skimmers,what type of lighting,what type of filtration,how much rock,how many fish you want or can house..There are so many choices out there , Marine depot is great place to look around and get some ideas(they also recommend items)..Also foster and Smith Liveaqua..Both great stores..One more suggestion (Ro/di unit) it will save in the long run..Happy reefing P.s As far as tanks, I prefer Reef ready tanks.. Regardless of size, inless its a nano..

Last edited:
thanks everyone,

idk for sure if i am going with that tank cause it is pretty expensive. i am looking at the Lifereef products for the filters. Lifereef.com, they have awesome filter and great skimmers, but they are a little pricey but i think it is worth it to keep the fish happy. i am looking at the berlin system with a refugium, if anyone checks it out let me know what you think?

the tenecor aquarium comes with lighting Sunpaq(520 watts) i havent looked at the bulbs but they are for reef tanks. if anyone has any more suggestions let me know. thanks for all the help.

Don't shy away from crushed coral substrate - It's my favorite. I have no problem with nitrates in my tank and I like the look of it!

I dont know about the tank brand, but on heater I would go with a few small heater like reef suggested 3 200w that way if one gets stuck in the on position it wont fry your tank.

On the substrate I would go with what you think looks best. CC traps alot more ditrius than sand will and if you dont vacuum it regularly it can lead to exsess nitrates. I would go with a arganite based sand it will help keep your ph were it needs to be, and also with sand you can keep alot more kinds of fish and inverts that live in the sand bed and use it to forige for food. Alot of people are even using play sand and I'm testing it in my 55 I set up to see how well it works. One problem with play sand is some of it is made with silicates in it and can cause diatoms, but from all the people I read that use it the dont have a problem at all, but just in case I went with a sand made for filtering pools thats made of quartz. I cant suggest this sand yet myself because the system is so new and I dont know if I'll have any porblems yet.

I've checked the Berlin and Fuge before at Lifereef.com.One word man,Awesome!!!!The price was awesome too $1400.When I looked closer, really the price didn't looked that bad.The price includes 2 large water pumps,skimmer,plumping,and a T5HO lights for the fuge.Adding all that up isn't to far off from what I was wanting to do.Make your decision on whats in your budget and one more thing make sure whatever you choose that it fits through the doors.I also would start thinking about what kind of corals you want to keep down the road before choosing the lights.The Sunpaqs will let you keep many corals,but there are alot of corals that can't be keep either.

Last edited:
yeah i like the idea of having a few small heaters, seems safer. i really like the Lifereef stuff, it is a lit expensive but not to bad for what you get. the tank i am looking at is only 20 inches tall so i think the Sunpaq lights would do just fine? i am not really into the corals very much and i am very new at this so if i have any corals they the hardy ones.

everyone you are a great help and if anyone else has anything let me know. i will keep you posted and thanks again.

Unless you have a huge tank (which it does not sound like you will) two heaters will be overkill. One heater will do fine. Most will last forever without any problems (I think mine is 6 years old now).

Adrastos said:
Unless you have a huge tank (which it does not sound like you will) two heaters will be overkill. One heater will do fine. Most will last forever without any problems (I think mine is 6 years old now).

He originally stated in another thread it would be 125-150 gallons.3 200watt heaters would be better than one.

a 150 gallon tank that is not even 20" tall - that is one loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong tank

Unless this tank was abnormally deep - the tank would need to be 8 feet long for it to be 150 gallons..

You provided measurements in inches:
Width: 96" (243.84cm)
Height: 20" (50.8cm)
Depth: 18" (45.72cm)
Your tank's volume is approximately 34560 cubic inches or 149.61 U.S. gallons, which is approximately 581.98 liters.

You just like arguing with people don't you!I'm only stating what he was wanting to go with.If the tank is 24'' in width than it could be the normal six foot tank.Also Tenecor makes custom size tanks also so who knows maybe he wants a 8ft. tank.

the tank i am looking at is 72x24x20 (LxWxH) it is from tenecor and is a 150g. the extra lengh would be good but it would be more money, it was between a 60x24x24 and the 72". i like more surface area so i think i am going with the 72"er

Back