What in the world is this?!

I'd axe it Dennis, although its cute now it wont be when its walking around with some spendy zoas or a chunk of acan on its back...its cute as hell now though.

He's so freakin tiny, he'll be staying for a while. If he gets himself in trouble eventually, then I'll move him.

And ya, that is all TBS rock. Check out my build thread for lots more pics.

Looks like part tree frog/part crab to me :mrgreen:...You've obviously discovered a new species. Darwin would be proud.

OH OH OH!! thats a baby decorator crab! :D :D :D I KNOOOOOW FOR A FACT! :D

we have them like that at work all the time :) cute little good guys!

ETA: :grumble: i got too excited before reading the rest of the thread xDD

basically that little cutie is gonna grow and continue to change his wardrobe, whatever colors are in your tank thats whats gonna be on him... they typically stay away from corals (altho i have seen them with strawberry anems on top o their heads lol) its a possibility they might try a few....

We have those at the aq and they are actually pretty neat, He wont EVER pinch you (trust me, i've stuck tons of fingers into tons of claws and nada). We have one in our "holiday tank" and each holiday he gets different color string and pom poms.... he changes about once a month :) they have a velcro like fuzz on their exoskeleton that allows for the quick removal of stuff :) i guarententee once he gets bigger he's gonna blend in more and more.... we see bright red ones from time to time but they are a more tropical sub-species... which is obviously what you got! :D we have brown/reddishbrown ones here.... Crabs that get large enough to defend themselves don’t decorate their backs but for the plants and animals that settle down there and grow will live on, even when he molts :)

Decorator crabs recycle their living decorations during the molting process—they remove the anemones, sponges and other decorations from their old shell and use them to decorate their new shell.
:D

Last edited:
Vareef, some places will order them in for you but you're not guarenteed the red color or that they will be small, they are quite clumsy when they get big

Back