what inverts

lilduud

Reefing newb
will eat algae out of the sand? or what anything really i hate that layer of colour that fades in and out that i have to siphon off...

If your tank description is accurate, that you have a nano, I will only make 2 suggestions. Nassarus snails are sand burrowers and will nestle down into the sand bed with their snorkles stilcking out. They will move around in ther keeping the sand turned and aerated. My other suggestion would be a dragon goby, a small one. This fella will take in mouthfulls of sand and sift it out through its gills looking for hidden bits of food. My word of caution on the goby....they can be jumpers and you'd want to keep a cover on your tank. Also, if you are already at your max fish quota, you shouldn't add him to your small tank. Just my 2c

Best bet is something that churns the sand, and keeps it looking fresh, but not one that tends to destroy the biodiversity, as a sand sifting star would.

I had the same problem and my answer to it was getting a fighting conch snail. Initially, I was worried that a conch snail would be waaaay too big for my tank as my sandbed is only about 1/2 inch deep or maybe even less and I have a 29 Gallon Biocube. But my most trusted LFS told me it would be fine so I tried it out and definitely do not regret it. He keeps my sand spotless and his size hasn't been a problem so far.

hmmm alright ill probably go for the nass snails... and as for the hair agae? im told a lettuce nudibranch or a seahare would work wonders but wouldnt they just starve in a tank my size.

yea i suppose... since ive secured the majorty of the frags or theyve attached themselves the one whos in there hasnt caused many problems for a while... im thinking ill get like 2 more and then give on to my friend once the problem clears up.

Other issue with the turbos is they won't eat the HA if it is too long. You should try to pull out what you can by hand, use a new toothbrush to shorten what's left, and then the turbo should be able to eat the leftovers.

Hi all, I am looking for info on snails for my 58gallon nano reef. I have a cyano bloom. I am trying with the increased flow but the lighting seems to fuel it. I keep changing the water but may need a conch or something after christmas. What sand sifter do you think is best? I currently have a royal gramma, spotted mandarin, scooter blenny, and a few cuc.

well the name cyanobacteria kind of gave it away really....

I was told that sand sifters would break the hold to loosen it. Unless you have any other ideas??

you do know cyano is a bacteria not algae dont u?

So? It's treated the same as algae...

There really aren't any CUC members that will eat cyano. Some people have said once in a blue moon a hermit will eat it, but don't count on that.

You are better off removing as much of it by hand as you can. Sand sifters (like nassarius snails and conches) will help by keeping the sand bed stirred, but they aren't going to get rid of the cyano. :(

Sea cucumbers also do a pretty good job in the sand bed. I would avoid sand sifting stars. They just starve to death in our tanks.

A buddy of mine bought some additive for Cyano that seemed to work, off the top of my head I don't remember what its called though

Back