what is a safe way to replace sand?

hart.thomas

Reefing newb
I have 2 different layers of substrate the top layer is crushed coral I've learned that crushed coral isn't good for some livestock I want to switch it out but not sure the safest way to do this.

Should I get a tote and remove most of the water and put it into the tote and put the fish there to with a heater and power head? And does the live rock need to be put in there to or can I sit it to the side? If this what I should do how long after I replace the sand should I out the fish back and how can I make sure nothing dies. Also I'm not buying ro water that's to expensive I just use a brita filter. Thanks for the help

Just slowly---little by little, and have some change out water in hand just in case you get major ammonia spikes.

I would instead suck out a small portion of the crushed coral with every water change, so you safely remove it over the course of a few months.

Also it will be much cheaper to buy ro water or a ro/di filter. Those britta filters are suppose to be replaced every 5-10 gallons anyways and they dont remove any of the stuff you really should be removing.

I want to keep the bottom layer of sand is there a way to change it out faster than over a few months? I really wanted to do this over the weekend

you risk causing a mini cycle if you remove it all at once. You could do a water change every weekend and remove a quarter of it at a time

Isnt it possible to just use dead sand and just take it all out at once?.. thats what i did and everything is fine on mine i mean i wish i did the little by little prob better idea but im leaving for 7 weeks so i wanted to get it done and over with so everything is good for my fish when im gone.

Anything that has been in your tank will become "live". All live means is that it has a population of bacteria growing on it that can process the ammonia produced by waste and turn it into nitrate, which is much less toxic. The sand will also trap pieces of crud and other detritus which when released all at once will cause a mini cycle, and by removing so much bacteria at once your biofiltration great decreases, which can also cause a mini cycle.

If the tank has only been set up for a few months, you might be able to risk pulling it out all at once, but the long it has been sitting there, the more dangerous it can become.

You can try to remove it all, but you should be prepared for a mini cycle and have water on hand, ready to use for a quick water change.

yea i only had my tank prob two mothns..i mean i deff would go the way ur saying like i said reason why i did that is because im leaving for 7 weeks lol and i didnt want all that crap sitting down under.

Yea I do have some on there and some crabs but by looks of it when taling the crush coral out there was a lot all over thr ocks and stuff

If you want to change all your substrate at once (for convenience's sake), the best way to do it would be to buy a few 5 gallon buckets, move your live rock into the buckets and put tank water in them to keep your rock submerged and wet. Scoop out the old sand using a clean (new) dustpan, put the rocks back in, add the new sand, then add the water back. Then I'd do about a 40% water change because there will be a lot of crap floating around that could start another cycle. Your tank will be cloudy for several days, but as long as your parameters are in check, the cloudiness won't hurt anything. It can be an ordeal. I've done it before. :(

what do i do with my live stock? i do have an extra tank thats stll setup with sand and alittle live rock nothing been on in it for about 3-4 months and the water probably needs changed out but other than that it ok. can i do a water change on the old tank and put the livestock in there for a day or two? i want to start this tonight. or is it ok to leave the livestock in the tank while im doing this?

I'd remove the livestock to the 5 gallon buckets with the tank water. I would worry about the water parameters in your other tank.

What I did was I had couple of buckets and I put liverock in both coral in both then fish in.one and I atleast put the heater in there so atleast it was warm for them..then scoop out the crush coral and then started adding rock then coral then fish. But do rock first and put the sand around it.

Back