what is it and what do i feed it?

lurningboutreefs

Reefing newb
I am really new to this and the LFS gave me several frags as I bought rock and light. I think I jumped in a little over my head. I don't know exactly what I have (just guesses) and don't know if I need to be feeding these things or checking the water for certain chemicals.

Can you help me identify what I have and tell me how to care for them as far as placement in the tank, water flow for them, should I feed them?

Thank you so much.

Attachments

• buttons.jpg
    buttons.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 301
  • sponge.jpg
    sponge.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 294
  • coral1.jpg
    coral1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 283
  • xenia.jpg
    xenia.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 318
1 - some type of zoanthid. Easy coral to keep, no feeding necessary. Just sit back and watch them spread! They do well in any type of light and flow, but generally should be placed in the bottom to middle of the tank.

2 - this looks to be a sponge. Sponges are considered expert-only animals. This may prove very challenging to keep in a new tank, as they are filter feeders (non-photosynthetic) and require dissolved material in the water to survive. Your best bet may be to dose liquid plankton in the tank, although I'd hate to tell someone with a new tank to do that, as it can easily ruin your water quality. Sometimes sponges do just fine if left on their own, without any feeding, but that's usually in mature, established tanks that naturally produce their own food in the water column. Also, sponges should never be exposed to the air, as air bubbles will get trapped in their tissue and slowly kill them off. This includes being taken in and out of the tank for transport -- anytime they are moved, it must be completely done underwater. They require higher flow levels, and lighting doesn't matter since they are non-photosynthetic.

3 - palythoa, or button polyps. Very similar to #1. No special care required, very easy to keep.

4 - xenia. Another good choice for a new tank. Easy coral to keep, and spreads quickly (sometimes too quickly, and it can become a best). It also requires no special feeding. Low to medium light, low to medium flow.

Thank you so much for a great response. I hate that I bought that sponge now. The guy at the LFS said they were easy and would spread all over. I should have researched first...

Back