What Is My Live Rock Worth?

I think your selling your self short there.
Those coral covered rock are worth a whole more 150 bucks,Especially the combo rocks.

I'm going to take pics here in a few minutes and I'll upload each individual rock with polyp counts and types of corals attached.

Some of these rocks have a little hair algae on them. Nothing serious - just a tuft of algae here and there.

I agree with Yote.

If you fragged all of those corals here are the numbers.

200 polyps/ 4 polyps per sale @ $20.00 per 4 polyps (reasonable price, and may be low depending on zoa) =$1000 profit

Since you don't want to frag them, I think it's ok to give a discount for a quick sale, but you may be giving upwards of 80% (too much). Maybe a 40- 50% (and that's generous) discount for a quick sale. You're getting $500-600, and the buyer can double their money if they frag them.

Buyer gets 200 polyps and frags them @ $20. for 4 polyps.=$1000 they paid you $500. They profit $500. It's a win win.

$20/4 polyps is not a reasonable price at all. For common zoas (which I understand he has), it should be closer to 50 cents a polyp... Especially for one hobbyist selling to another.

.50 a polyp? Really. There's a major price difference between MI and AZ. Here's a common ad from CL. I wish I could find .50 a polyp. These are 3 polyps per sale. These are actually good deals around here. I need to visit AZ!!

POLYPS, ZOA
Blue $20 and up
Electric green $25
Light Blue Zoo $20
Green zoa 5 polyps on nice size rock $10
Orange Eye and Red Eye mixture $25
Pink center $20 and up
Rusty zoa 4 polyps $15
sunkisss zoa $20 and
Tri color zoa $20 and up red, purple, and yellow
Tri color blue
Tri color red

I agree with Yote.

If you fragged all of those corals here are the numbers.

200 polyps/ 4 polyps per sale @ $20.00 per 4 polyps (reasonable price, and may be low depending on zoa) =$1000 profit

Since you don't want to frag them, I think it's ok to give a discount for a quick sale, but you may be giving upwards of 80% (too much). Maybe a 40- 50% (and that's generous) discount for a quick sale. You're getting $500-600, and the buyer can double their money if they frag them.

Buyer gets 200 polyps and frags them @ $20. for 4 polyps.=$1000 they paid you $500. They profit $500. It's a win win.

Most reefers in Colorado are cheaper than ME. I can't even sell 10 polyp frags of neon green dragon eye zoas for $5 each. Some of them are 15 polyps - I'm asking $5 each - still can't sell them. Same with button polyps and watermelon zoas. I can't get $5 a head for Superman mushrooms.

I've got zoa frags so overgrown - it takes a razor knife to hack them OFF the frag racks.

I know I SHOULD be able to make more money if I fragged all this stuff up. Honestly, there's not enough room in the frag tank for all this, and I don't have the desire to mess with it. When you consider how hard it's been to sell the frags I currently have in the 29g frag tank - screw it. If somebody wants to buy all this rock and spend the time/energy to frag it all out and make $2000 - fine with me. I don't want to mess with it anymore.

They're beginner zoas and hairy mushrooms. How much can they be worth?

I don't want to be negative. I sincerely appreciate ALL the comments. You guys/gals are encouraging me to hold out for a good price - only your friends would look out for ya like that. :Cheers:

I completely understand...You've gotta sell it for what it's worth in your area.The market is local...I thought I was seeing good deals on my local CL...I'm shocked that you guys can get frags that cheap! Those numbers I posted are form a guy who has about 2000g of water set up in his garage (crazy ain't it). He sells everyday from 5pm to 8pm. At 4:30 there's a line at his door. He's a construction contractor by day. He told me he makes more money selling frags then he does at his day job. And he's the most reasonable around here.

Just sold that paper plate sized rock - minus the blastos (he he) - and a frag of 11 button polyps for $120 :bounce:

I popped the base of the blastos off this morning with a flat screwdriver and plopped it in the frag tank.

Been trying to get in touch with the guy selling the 40g tank/stand/canopy - but he must be busy or out for the weekend - no response yet.

FTS and whatever is left.

Attachments

• PIC_0004.jpg
    PIC_0004.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 285
  • PIC_0005.JPG
    PIC_0005.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 276
  • PIC_0007.jpg
    PIC_0007.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 286
  • PIC_0008.JPG
    PIC_0008.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 252
  • PIC_0009.JPG
    PIC_0009.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 242
Couple more

Attachments

• PIC_0010.JPG
    PIC_0010.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 251
  • PIC_0011.jpg
    PIC_0011.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 287
  • FTS.JPG
    FTS.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
Just sold that paper plate sized rock - minus the blastos (he he) - and a frag of 11 button polyps for $120 :bounce:

I popped the base of the blastos off this morning with a flat screwdriver and plopped it in the frag tank.

Been trying to get in touch with the guy selling the 40g tank/stand/canopy - but he must be busy or out for the weekend - no response yet.
Hell yeah! That a kid. Wish you lived closer, I'd pick some of them watermelons up from you.

I have to keep those palys because thats where Nemo hosts. And there's a neon green favia down there that I want to keep for the new LPS dominated tank.

The kids would never forgive me. :sniffles:

I don't really care for the fishies - y'all know that. But when ya got a passion for reef corals and ya got 2 little kids - you put a clown fish in the tank and tell 'em to shaddup and be happy. :mrgreen: I'd like to get a hippo tang some day, but that will have to wait until after we buy a house and I build a big one in the wall.

At 3pm I sold a flat rock - about 12lbs with 20 heads of superman mushrooms - 40 polyps of watermelon zoas - 2 hairy green mushrooms for $100.

I just got home. Went to look at the 40g tank. It measures 48x13x20 - didn't bring it home. Had 2nd thoughts at the last second and decided to hold off. I kinda want to get the 30g display all broken down first. I really don't have room for a 4 foot tank. I could MAKE room somewhere, but it's a pain in the ass moving furniture around and re-stacking boxes in the back closet again.

I might go for it sometimes this week. I think that I need to try and unload this live rock and then get the 30g tank broken down before I pull the trigger on another tank.

EDIT:
The guy has a 280g tank with a Reef Flo 250 skimmer (I think thats what he said) - it's big around as a 5g bucket and 4 feet tall. Collection cup must be 3g or more.

He had over 25 different acans and about a dozen different scolys. 4 tangs, a dozen clams. Combination of MH and LED lighting. I'll take pics if I go back to purchase the 40g tank.

I've never seen a tank that big in person. It was ........... AMAZING

Last edited:
Back