What is next...?

One day i give them flakes. and the next i give them the marine frozen food... I think there is some tiny shrimps in there and worms(in the frozen food)

But their mouth is so small...If i don t put the flakes in small tiny pieces, they can't eat it... just like with the marine frozen food. Some shrimps are too large (even tho it s small) and they can t eat it..... So i have to rip everyting in tiny pieces.....

thats what Im saying just do it a portion of a flake at a time start out with grinding a piece about the size of you finger nail go from there.

What about the frozen food?? Some pieces of shrimp are still too big so they can't eat it cause it s still too big....So it just sinks..

you can cut a shrimp up somewhat fine and use a dropper and give them so much. It doesnt matter if you but something to eat the leftovers if your feeding too much not all the leftover will be eaten which will leave you with poor water quality in the end.

How do I know when they eat enogh? or not?

It seems like my clowns look at the food and just let it drop. They don t seem crazy about the flakes. Especially one of them.... he always eats it and spits it back out.

For the frozen food, the pick what they like or not. if i let a tiny shrimp drop, theyll go to it and decide they doon t want it so just let it drop to the bottom.... Especially that it sinks.... It kind of sink fast.... So i always end up with a bunch of food on my sand!Trust me. i try hard to feed them little by little.... So nothing goes to the bottom.. but they re picky!!!!!!! Way too picky!!!!!

What about the greenish/brownish algae growing all over!!!!!!!!!!!! This is driving me nutz!!!!!!!!!! How can i get rid of it? how many snails should I buy for my tank??? Because there is a LOT to munch on... 140 lbs of live rock with LOTs of algae ..... my glass.... The back glass.... iot s even growing on my water heater!!!! And on my power heads!!!!!

15-30 Turbo snails?

nothing else??? What about some hermit? Don't they eat algae??? Nothing else that looks prettier then a snail and that would eat my algae.... ???

Your best bet is to buy a mix of snails, not just turbo. Different species of snails will eat different things, try a mix of trochus, turbo, astraea, and nassarius.

If you think it's okay to add another fish, a lawnmower blenny is a very hardy one that will wipe that algae out big time. I love mine! I know your tank just finished cycling, so you may want to wait a while and make sure your clowns make it okay before adding more fish, but a lawnmower blenny is definitely the best fish I've seen for knocking out algae.

As for starfish, the blue and orange ones (linkias) are extremely difficult to keep, even for the experienced. I would recommend either a bristle star or a serpent star -- I have one of each in my 55. They do a good job of keeping the bottom of the tank clean, and they will go after any food that your clowns leave behind! My starfish will chase down any food that bounces along the bottom.

If you are going to go with snails, I would not get any hermit crabs. I have a mix of both in my tank, and my hermits will sometimes kill the snails to get their shells :(.

Unfortunately the best way to deal with algae is to eliminate it by starving it of the nutrients it needs to survive (nitrates and phosphates). That's hard to do! I'm battling it right now. You can buy animals that will eat it, but it's better to not have it in the first place.

Good luck!

Bifferwine,

Do you think I could buy a lawnmower blenny now??? I think i have the green hair algae!!! This thing grows so fast!!!!!!! Every morning when I wake up, I feel like it grew 1" overnight!! This is incredible!!! It grows all over my windows!!! Do you think a blenny would be ok in my tank?? You said it's a hardy ?? I can even give you my water parameters if you want... Can check it sometimes today...

Im not one for hermits due to having to buy them shells as they grow they out grow there shells and need bigger ones and I have yet to find a store that carries the type of shells I need. When did you add your clowns hon you want to wait at least 2 weeks before adding another fish just to make sure your clowns are going to be ok.

I added the clowns last saturday. So it will be a week tomorow.....

Even a blenny... My ank will turn green by then.. I more week and I'm fucked (excuse the language). I never seen algae grow that fast!!! and it s long, green, and ugly. ALL OVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How can I put my phos and alk down like bifferwine said?? How do u do that..? Will it eventually STOP???

Back