what is that? Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
How on earth do you plan to keep a deep water anemone that's found off the coast of Norway alive in a reef tank, where temperatures need to be kept in the high 70s to low 80s?

I made the jump over to saltwater from freshwater in April and the biggest and hardest thing for me to do was to let go of the canister filters. You do not need it on the saltwater tank. All the filter pads will start to build up your nitrates over time unless you are cleaning it every week which is a pain in the rear. Trust me, I kept mine running for months before I finally let it go. I have a hang on back fuge with protein skimmer and a separate protein skimmer and powerheads and live rock. That is all. You should look around this site, you will find many artices related to filtering in the saltwater tank - and all the reasons to not use your canister filters. Eventually your tank will start to cycle - you are going to end with a mess between your sea urchin and your anemone getting killed off in an ammonia or nitrate spike.
I hope this helps a little.

Good luck with the switchover!!!

if you remove the white stones that build bacterias from your filters,the canister becomes a very safe filter. Also adding more active carbon will halp fighting the toxines.
Even the protein skimmers are having a sponge that builds bacterias and promotes nitrates. in fact protein skimmers are no. 1 reducing all of your calcium and trace elements from the tank. Some big aquariums build by professionals don't have protein skimers and it's all based on some live extensions with other smal fish tanks algae based which clears the water.

Last edited:
Wow, were to start....First let me introduce myself, I am Winyfrogs husband. I am the owner of a Saltwater aquarium store in Utah (The Living Art Aquarium - the HOME PAGE) I am also a part time teacher at a local college in in the invert zoology feild, a dedicated saltwater hobbiest for over 20 years, a hardcore SPS coral farmer as well as a rare fish collector. I also designed, setup and maintain the largest saltwater reef aquariums in the state of Utah. I normally don't have time to take place in such educational threads but seeing as how you are in the process of some incredible break through in reef keeping, I thought I would break away from prunning the many many many SPS corals that are growing out of the water in my tank under metal halides (good thing to sounds like their lifespan is almost up! ) For you to educate us in this hobby we apperantly know nothing about.

It is clear you don't "need" any help, so I wonder if you will answer a couple questions for me?

1. Have you read on how to keep a saltwater aquarium? yes? then why did you not buy that skimmer FIRST! ?
2. What skimmer did you order?
3. What are the brand of bulbs you are using?
4. Have you read on how to keep that cleaner wrasse? (that poor doomed fish)
5. Have you considered that once that anemone starts drifting (looking for food/flow) It will end up in one of your terribly under rated filter inlets?
6. What kind of "liverock" is that?
7. What brand and what test kits do you currently own?
8. What is your DKH and Calcium levels (obviously you own a test kit if your adding these caustic compounds to your tank)
9. Please tell us what you are adding to your aquarium and why (what does it feed?)

Last but not least if you would do me one more little favor, Seeing as how you are so convinced that your "filtration" system is more than adequate, you must not be alone, Please find us (dont forget to post a link) a "full blown" reef tank that uses your style of filtration and lighting,(hang-on and normal output fluorescent) i'm sure there have been many reefkeeping magazine "tank of the month's" that use this style filtration, please try to post a link to one of those tanks. I'm sure there are hords of "serious" reef keepers out there using this setup with fantastic results should'nt be to hard to find one.

Patiently awaiting your response oh great reef keeper. :bowdown:

if you remove the white stones that build bacterias from your filters,the canister becomes a very safe filter. Also adding more active carbon will halp fighting the toxines.
Even the protein skimmers are having a sponge that builds bacterias and promotes nitrates. in fact protein skimmers are no. 1 reducing all of your calcium and trace elements from the tank. Some big aquariums build by professionals don't have protein skimers and it's all based on some live extensions with other smal fish tanks algae based which clears the water.

Lets see one of these systems you speak of....link please. :bounce:

Protein skimmers do not use sponges. I don't know what skimmer you're talking about, but they do not use sponges.

The extensions you are talking about are known as algae scrubbers. They are usually used in conjunction with a protein skimmer.

I'm starting to wonder if this whole thread is a joke. I cannot believe that someone could be as uneducated and inexperienced as you are, yet so boisterous at the same time.

as per today my measurements;

nitrate 10 mg/l
calcium 390 mg/l
phosphate low readings 0.5 mg/l
ph test 8.1 units
alkalinity 5 meg/l carbon

using active carbon in a marine fish tank is one of the best solutions possible in removing toxines and organic waste. You can read it everywhere on google.
My water is crystal clear, my fishies are doing great as well as all corals. I curently have now 120W actinic red, blue 50% and natural day light 50%

yes i am going from this forum since al your "expert" advices are contradicting everything i can read on internet posted by specialized real marine biologists who knows the difference between a dying anemone based on internal light consuming bacterias and an exclusive food predator one as is mine.
I don't know why but all the hobby people are having tendencies to believe they knows everything better and any other opinions and advices are to be laught at just because is coming from a newbie.
Sometimes the egg is stronger than the chicken who makes it and it might survive more.
The protein skimmer is the worse aquisition in your tanks and it removes everything. I am sure majority of you are keeping reef corals only a few months and they are dying as i heard . Isn't the light or anything else. Is because of too much science and bs

A god day to everyone and i hope your reefs are of without canister filters. My water is pristine and clear as you can see in my videos and this makes the quality of a tank

Last edited:
+1 wes but it is still fun:mrgreen:
We have one of those specialized marine biologists on this site, plus many more highly edjucated people.

Also, red light does not penetrate very deep into the ocean. That is why so may shrimp and other things take on a red hue. If there is no red light, they look black and blend in better. So why put red light above the tank?

Furthermore, a protien skimmer simulates the wave action of the ocean. The sea foam on the shoreline is the same stuff that the skimmer removes.

lol... this thread is funny!! I honestly can't believe how stupid and ignorant some people are... oh well, shows them they just ran off because they know we're right. :p lol... and google isn't the best thing out there... oh well. learn from experience... poor critters :( rip!

hey all you candian reefers keep a look out for a cheap tank when this guys hits craigs lists. I am so disappointed that he isnt going to stick around and tell us about how hes tank crash goes.

I tried my hardest to not respond to this but the misinformation that he was claiming got to me. I figured it is better to refute his claims than to let some new member find this thread and think that this is how you do things. I knew this guy was lost but I didnt want anyone else to get lost with him.

lost is not the word for it i have never seen any books or other material that stated the things that he believes

I can't believe he is pushing for canister filters over protein skimmers!?!?!?!

My tank is finally doing better after I turned off my canister filter. My water was clear before and it is still crystal clear - that does not have anything to do with what is actually IN the water. Just because you can't see it does not mean it is not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back