What is the best salt ??

i use instant ocean... their blend used to suck and be inconsistent but their newer batch is way more even and balanced... ready right outa the tub :)

There's a list of several common salt mixes and their different parameters on reefcentral. I would post a link but I'm on my phone at a doctor's office (my son's first dr. Apt. :mrgreen:). I personally use Tropic Marin Pro Reef since it had the closest parameters to natural sea water according to that list and I've also read about it being used on some of the best tanks I've seen. However, it runs about $80 per bucket. If on a budget I would use Reef Crystals as I've heard nothing but good reviews from several experienced reefers, even from Bob Fenner himself.

Tropic Marin Reef Pro is what I switched to and I love it. Reef Crystals is good as well as Oceanic. Ive used all of those but I am going to stick with Tropic Marin.

You guys notice a diff with Tropic Marin? I've always used Tropic Marin, but yes, it is VERY expensive. I don't use Pro, though. Just the plain Tropic Marin. I've never had problems with it, but was considering switching salts due to price.

When I first started this hobby,I used Instant Ocean.Never could get my calcium above 300 with that.
Switched to Oceanic and liked it.Dissolved quick,mixed good,constant parameters on a fresh batch.My coralline algae exploded.
Then tryed Kent.After 3 or 4 water changes I had a hude HA cyano outbreak that lasted till the bucket was empty.
Then I tryed Brightwell Aquatics salt.Everything in the tank seemed to love it for the first month,then started on a slow decline.I think there was something in it that built up over time that my corals didnt like.
Now I use SeaChem Reef and thats what I'll use from now on.Mainly because as long as I chane out 10 gallons every 8 to 10 days on my 125,all my parameters stay stable and right on target.
But to answer your question.The best salt to use is the one that works best for your tank.

Ask ten people and you'll get ten different answers. The best? :dunno:

I use Red Sea Coral Pro.

I have found out that if you ask 10 people you will get 11 answers. LOL. There is no "best" salt mix out there. If there was we would all be using it. I use Oceanic salt mix. I like the higher readings of calcium.

I have found out that if you ask 10 people you will get 11 answers. LOL. There is no "best" salt mix out there. If there was we would all be using it. I use Oceanic salt mix. I like the higher readings of calcium.
Yep....
For what its worth,i use Oceanic too.....

I say if you're just doing fish only or softies you're fine just with IO. That's what I was using until I started needing calcium and alk boosts.
I switched to the IO Reef Crystals and honestly didn't see much of a difference. I was still needing to dose for alk and calcium all the time. So personally I'm not a huge fan of the stuff.
Now I've switched to this German company called SeraMarin, more commonly known as just Sera. The first language on all their labels is actually German and I don't think they're really well known, but I love the stuff. I only have to dose like every other week anymore.

Loyalty to salt brands is always a contentious issue. But since we are on the topic, I I have always been happy with Tropic Marin's products and they have produced some great results for me and other hobbyists I know who use them.

Back