what is the best tank

joshuashih1

Seahorse Owner
I want a 55 gallon tank and would like to know what is the best and cheapest 55 gal tank for a saltwater fish tank starting out as a fish only and mabye going to corles and anenemies

+1 BJ, but unfortunately when Petco has it, it's only good to 55 gallons, anything above is regular price. Not sure on Petsmart, though, they don't have that sale here. I agree on Craigslist or see if your LFS has any used tanks. Mine frequently does, but they're a little pricy. Still cheaper than new, though.

+1 BJ, but unfortunately when Petco has it, it's only good to 55 gallons, anything above is regular price. Not sure on Petsmart, though, they don't have that sale here. I agree on Craigslist or see if your LFS has any used tanks. Mine frequently does, but they're a little pricy. Still cheaper than new, though.

It probably is petco then. I have never bought anything at one of the sales.

I was looking at a 40 breeder b/c it's wider than the 55 they sell there. Figured your aquascaping would be a lot better with the 40 dimensions. IMHO

I want a 55 gallon tank and would like to know what is the best and cheapest 55 gal tank for a saltwater fish tank starting out as a fish only and mabye going to corles and anenemies

if all your looking for is a tank, it doesn't matter.

But there are other options. Overflows, pre-drilled for plumbing, special glass like Starphire, glass vs acrylic, different shapes and heights, rimless vs rimmed...

Don't just go and buy a tank without looking at a lot of other setups first.
Check out all the build threads both here and on the other forums.

Most likely, you WILL want to go full blown reef, not just fish.
Also, having at least live rock and sand in the tank will help with natural filtering.
The fish are just a small part of what makes this hobby way cooler than freshwater.

Take your time and do the research.

I want a 55 gallon tank and would like to know what is the best and cheapest 55 gal tank for a saltwater fish tank starting out as a fish only and mabye going to corels and anenemies

I would try and stay away from a used tank if you can. You'll find they are usually scratched really bad and / or possibly leak. There are so many possible set ups to do that you should sit down and figure out what you want to do with the tank.

1. fish only
2. coral tank
3. full blown reef (coral and fish)
4. what you can afford for start up
5. what you can afford for monthly maintenance
6. room you have in your home.
7. do I have the time to do the work

These are the basic questions. Then you get into, do I need a skimmer?, should i get a refuge?, DIY or Buy from a supplier? Stuff like that. Take the time to plan it out and do the research!!!! Ask questions from the peeps here before you start the tank and see what problems other beginners are having with their builds.

:frustrat: And finally research, research and research some more!!! :frustrat:

Good luck with your build and hope to see some awesome pics! :Cheers:

i know mostly everything that comes with it will not work with saltwater
but you would b hard pressed to find a 75 g tank and hood for that price alone

Back