What is the Best Venturi Skimmer?

BriOnH

Reefing newb
I was reading this great article on here:
https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/...ticles/390-cyanobacteria-red-slime-algae.html

It says that a venturi style skimmer is the best way to go, and as I have a great filtration system imo (external 150g rated) I think this would be the way to go.

I have been reading a lot about skimmers on here lately and have decided it's time to get one. Can anyone reccommend a good venturi skimmer for my tank and filter? Do you think this will help my cyanobacteria problem a lot? That is the reason I am getting it.

Also I would like to set up a sump and refuge. Does this matter what type of skimmer to get?

Last edited:
Im running a corallife super skimmer 65.You can hang it on back of the tank,or put it in the sump.Foster and smith has em for about 80 bucks.

It depends on what is in your budget.
Since you gonna set up a sump eventually I would go with one that can be HOB or in sump.I'm sure others will chime in with there favorite,so I just tell you the one to avoid...Seaclone.

I am new to salty water fish but in my limited experience I found that the skimmer helps out alot more than the other filter does. Since adding my skimmer to my tank I dont get the scum on the top. I had the skimmer on the tank for a few weeks then moved it to a sump. Both cases the tank stayed clean and my fish were happy. I removed the skimmer when I redesigned my sump and the film on the top of the tank came right back in a few days. Right before I started my sump and skimmer back up today I cleaned the sides of the tank, which usually leaves me with a few hours of cloudy water, the water cleared up in about 15 minutes and the sludge ended up in the skimmer's collection cup. That is alot better than my canister filter that I have sitting next to the tank.
Right now my skimmer is hanging on my sump in the inlet section, I dont get any microbubbles through to the refugium section bacause of the bubble trap I built between the 2 zones. My old design put the skimmer in sump in the refugium section and this allowed the bubbles to go into my pump and then into the tank.

I would decide first what kind of setup you are going to use before buying a skimmer or buy one that will work both in sump or HOB. I use the Coralife 65 for my 30 gallon +10 sump. (I posted pics of my sump and stuff on this post https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/lighting-filtration-other-equipment/2611-sump-pump-question.html ) it works great. Like others have said stay away from the SeaClone I have yet to hear anything good about them and my LFSs have them but will not sell them, that is telling me something there.

Massey

Back