What is the difference in these three?

true_pisces

:question:
I am planning on upgrading my tank a little and I have read alot of the ways that everyone has their tanks set up so I am wondering if anyone can tell me how and what the difference is between an overflow, a sump and a fuge? And to know how they would benefit a 30gal would be great help too.
Any help would be greatly apreciated.

an overflow dumps water to the sump/refuge. than it gets pumped back to the main tank from there. a fuge is a tank that has sand rock macro alage or just about anything to promote pod and macro alage growth. both of them add water volume to the system and the more water you have the more stable a system you can obtain

The sump is primarily used to house equipment -- like your heater, skimmer, filter, etc. The refugium contains macroalgae, sand and rocks and gives pods (little bug like critters) a place to breed. The pods eventually spill over and get returned to the main tank, where they are a good live food source for fish and corals.

like James said, the overflow is the piece of equipment that brings water from the tank down to the sump or fuge. Most people have the fuge built in as part of the sump.

A refugium is a great filter.It actually helps remove excess nutrients from the water.
And yeah,you can just use the skimmer.Matter of fact,all my sump does,is hold the skimmer.

Ok so could i use a small 2 or 3 gal fuge and use a hang on back of tank skimmer and put the heater in the tank too, and take off the carbon filter pump that i have been useing that is used for either salt or freshwater. See the deal is that I have a two yr old boy that likes to play with water, so I'm trying to minimise space.

Ok so could i use a small 2 or 3 gal fuge and use a hang on back of tank skimmer and put the heater in the tank too, and take off the carbon filter pump that i have been useing that is used for either salt or freshwater. See the deal is that I have a two yr old boy that likes to play with water, so I'm trying to minimise space.

2-3 gallon sump or just fuge? A sump that small would be too hard to maintain a good water level. Because when you use a sump the water will demise in the sump instead of the tank therefore making it hard to keep full. My sump is 30 gallon and im about to upgrade just because I have to put top off water in it EVERYDAY. I firgure if I go to a 55 gallon sump that I can go a couple 2 or 3 days without a top off.

2-3 gallon sump or just fuge? A sump that small would be too hard to maintain a good water level. Because when you use a sump the water will demise in the sump instead of the tank therefore making it hard to keep full. My sump is 30 gallon and im about to upgrade just because I have to put top off water in it EVERYDAY. I firgure if I go to a 55 gallon sump that I can go a couple 2 or 3 days without a top off.

I wouldnt bet on it.:D
One thing you'll learn,is the more water in the system the more evaporation you'll get.

Might be time to set up an ATO.:D

I wouldnt bet on it.:D
One thing you'll learn,is the more water in the system the more evaporation you'll get.

Might be time to set up an ATO.:D

Do you mean the more water? Or, the more surface area to the system?
(I know generally the more surface area you have would most likely mean more water but, just wanna know if it's the water alone or the area for evaporation )

It is the surface area

If you put a glass of water out and a bowl of water out, each containing the same amount of water, the bowl will evaporate first

Well,Actually when you add a sump,you also adding more surface area to :D
Just didnt word it right I reckon.:shock:

I understood your wording Yote, and I thought it was the surface area. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't anything else

A fuge... just one of those octogon shaped small tanks with a light in the lid.

Back