what is the most affordable 48" reef capable light fixture?

Cheeser

I Love Reefer
and im really looking for something that can support hard corals and sps...
i was thinking about getting the marineland reef capable leds. but i was wondering if there was anything better for around the same price...

thanks man. i already put the marineland leds on layaway at my lfs but ill see if they can get me into one of these...

On what size tank? the marineland reef ready LEDs seem to work well on smaller tanks, but I doubt they would do the trick on a 55

The marineland reef capable fixture is absolutely able to keep sps. I had one over my 27 cube, had a pink birdsnest and 3 montiporas. one monti was about 15 inches below the light and doing fine. I even moved my anchor coral all the way to the sand bed about 20 inches from the light and it grew great. Actually split into 2 heads after 2 weeks under the light.

Everyone saying that marineland reef capable fixtures have no ability to keep sps have no idea what they are talking about, and do not have any experience with the light. There is a whole thread from those of us with marinelands.

Heres the link
https://www.livingreefs.com/marinland-reef-led-lighting-progress-t37526.html

Last edited:
The marineland reef capable fixture is absolutely able to keep sps. I had one over my 27 cube, had a pink birdsnest and 3 montiporas. one monti was about 15 inches below the light and doing fine. I even moved my anchor coral all the way to the sand bed about 20 inches from the light and it grew great. Actually split into 2 heads after 2 weeks under the light.

Everyone saying that marineland reef capable fixtures have no ability to keep sps have no idea what they are talking about, and do not have any experience with the light. There is a whole thread from those of us with marinelands.

Heres the link
https://www.livingreefs.com/marinland-reef-led-lighting-progress-t37526.html

A 27 cube is a lot shallower than a 55, which is why you were able to do this. I would be very suprised if the same fixture would work as well on a standard footprint 55. And Birdsnest and montipora are low light SPS corals....

Totally agree with slm. I have this fixture and my tank is doing awesome! I have two Anemones, green monti, green birdsnest and a purple acro, all growing like crazy! I highly recommend he marineland reef capable leds. And speaking of that I think ill go post on that link slm left for you :)

Sorry that I can't afford any high light corals. Or any corals at this time for that matter. Otherwise I would gladly show excellent growth over a 2 or 3 week period.

Last edited:
And last I checked. 21 inches wasn't a whole lot deeper than 20 inches. But ok. Not to mention that my 27 cube dimensions are 20x19x20 and a standard 55 is 48.25x12.5x21. Therefore the spread from front to back. Is not an issue. And with a 48 inch fixture clearly it would cover left to right. Unless it is necessary to light up an extra foot all the way around the outside of a tank. The coverage is NO problem at all.

Here is a shot of my 29g that has has this fixture since its been set up. It's a yr old. I believe Samhain has this fixture on her 90g. Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure.

IMAG1928.jpg

+1 to slm and bee,

I have the Marineland RC on my 36 and love it. My corals are all doing great. Don't knock it till you've tried it.

Back