What is the name of this?

aquaholics

Reefing newb
Hi...We have 3 white looking anemone's in our 90g tank and 1 in the 150g. We originally started out with 2 from the person we purchased the tank from, but they have split to make the 4 that we now have. Upon doing some research it was noted that if an anemone is white it is a bad thing because it is a sign that, that anemone has bleached because of insuffient lighting. These anemone's have started out white and have remained a white color for the last 3 months and continue to grow. There are other BTA's in both tanks that are not white and they are some what in the same locations as these 'white anemone's'. Just wondering if this is indeed white anemone's that we have??

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...iteanemone.jpg

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...teanemone2.jpg

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...9/IMG_0659.jpg

This last is a picture of a BTA that is in the one tank with the white one.

I cant see the pictures, but pure white nems are bad sign. They are probably splitting because as they see it, if it breaks down into many nems one of the many babies has a better chance of surviving than just the one adult.

What lights do you have them under? They are also extremely sensitive to water quality, if they are anything less than perfect it will often kill them. They are some of the most difficult animals to keep in this hobby because they are so picky about the water quality and the lighting.

You can try feeding them to try and support them along, but i dont know of too many success stories once they are bleached.

Oh, ya, those first two are very sick looking.

What lighting are they under and what are your water parameters. How long have you have the colored nem? has it been changing colors? do any of them wander around?

The first looks like a severely bleached BTA and the second could be a BTA but it's difficult to tell. Are you feeding them? Since they have no zooxanthellae to feed on they require supplemental feedings to get their color back.

From the day we acquired our anemone's they have all remained the same color...none have changed their original color. We have other BTA's in the same tanks all under the same lighting conditions but these white ones remain white while the colored ones remain their color. All of our water parameters are within the acceptable range. We purchased a green tip anemone that started out approximately softball size and has grown to dinner plate size within 2 months that is in the same tank. All of our anemone's are under the same lighting...t5 lights.

I am just a little confused as to why these anemones are white and others in the tank are green or rose tip if the white ones are 'sick' considering that they are all in the same tank under same lighting conditions???

water parameters:

Calcium - 480
KH - 161
PH - 8.4
Salinity - 0.025
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
Phosphate - 0
Ammonia - 0

If they were white when you got them, then the conditions that they were in previous to care were damaging enough to them cause them expel their zooxanthellae, which is why they are white.

Give extra care, they can bring them back i think. But i would start feeding them to support them until the day they get them back. Which is a very slow process.

But what is your wattage with the t5's? do you have individual reflectors and how many bulbs?

that one looks kinda bleached to me too. I would also stop feeding the silversides, it's been suspected on many cases that they've led to sudden anemone death. It's believed that it's because of all the guts and stuff left in them.

Back