what is this and how do you care for it?

RFD

Reefing newb
Hi All,

Help on the ID please

Attachments

• DSC_0781.jpg
    DSC_0781.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 422
It that why it looks like it splitting- I read an article on Reef Pedia that it was good for beginner tanks. But since I do not check for calcium and other chemicals this is not a good fit. i am trying to understand what my tank is lacking or my experience is lacking to tank care or hard corals.

Can you please help me understand?

Thanks

RFD

If you'll look at the top of the page,you'll see a tab that says Articles.
Take the time to read them.Then read them again.Dont read,STUDY,them.
Research is your best friend in this hobby.
You've to understand the water chemistry,the habits of the animals and how they interact together,how the filtration works,how the corals get their nutrients and grow.
Theres a lot more to it than just putting saltwater,sand,and rock in a glass box.

Maybe it's splitting, but I don't see it if it is. The slit down the middle of it is its mouth. They reproduce by "budding" off, and it doesn't really look like that when it happens. I have never been able to keep a short tentacled plate coral. I've probably tried 4 or 5 of them. They all die within a few weeks :( Good luck with them, they are *supposed* to be an easy LPS coral to keep, but I have not had that experience with the bastards!!

Ive never had good luck with them either. My stupid clown fish would host in them and rip the flesh off or it wouldnt come out. I dont think they are easy at all. I believe they need to be spot fed also in order to thrive.

If I were you RFD, id find some local reefers and get some donor frags to try your skills at corals. It will save you a lot of money.

I had a purple and white one that I couldn't seem to kill. Note the use of the word, had.
It was my first and it lived for about a year. One always remembers their first. Awe.

Back