What is this black and white pod ??

va reef walker

Reefing newb
Hello,

Awoke this morning to this in my tank. Have no idea what it may be. It's about the size of a skittle. Just wondering if I need to take it out, or leave it in?

Attachments

• IMG_1467_2.jpg
    IMG_1467_2.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 439
That's what we thought too, that it was some GIANT turd of some sort, but we don't have anything in our tank due to it's newness that would support such a humongous load..LOL...

The reason we are so hesitant about taking it out though, is after researching it, it looks very similar to one of the early stages of an Urchin that may have hitchhiked on our LR.....

Hopefully by the time we go to bed tonight someone can confirm whether or not that's the case, otherwise it will probably come out.

Erincahir,

It's firm, not completely squishy, but has a little bit of squish to it. If that makes sense.

We only have some hermits, some emerald crabs, a little Serpent star, a peppermint shrimp, and a six line wrasse in there.

None of these things are big enough to produce it because it is bigger than they can produce realistically.

Hahaha, im not even joking, that looks like a bio ball!! :lol:
But serious, im 95% sure its a sponge, black ball sponge, or an orange ball sponge, im guessing black!! ;)

Bifferwine,

Since we have found it, it hasn't moved, but the interesting thing is where we found it, it's right out in the open, and if it had been there previously we would have seen it, so it would have had to of moved to get where it's at, unless something put it there. We haven't been in the tank moving anything around, and it's not attached to the substrate, so it didn't grow there. Too none of the critters seem to be messing with it to back up the idea that it was moved there.

From the hours of research yesterday, all I could come up with was either as Waddi suggested it's a black sea sponge or it's a very small urchin in the very early stages of it's development.

Back