what is this black creature ???

crazy cajun

Reefing newb
here is a sketch of what this thing looks like and it looks just like the sketch kinda weird, ill take a picture of it when i get home tonight but its black, round, flat, and has a white line in the middle of it and its been crawling around my live rock any ideas???

Attachments

• weird.JPG
    weird.JPG
    3.6 KB · Views: 281
Stomatella's are good if that's what you have. Here's a pic for reference. They're don't all look the same color so you're might look a little different from this one.

image023.jpg

Biff ,i looked up flatworms, i did not find one thats looks just like the one i saw on my rocks but it does look very close to what i saw it was kinda flat and a little ruffled on the edges with a white line in the middle of its back, i would think it is a flatworm, and i read that they are not good for reefs, is this correct should i find it and get rid of it???

If it is ruffled, it could also be some kind of nudibranch. Flatworms are bad, and many nudis are too. About how big is this thing?

actually your drawing looks exactly like the photo I have attached...

those things are called Keyhole Limpets and are good guys :) the white in the middle is actually his shell and the body is his "snail stuff" spreading out :) detravories/algae eaters :) the one in the photo is mine... got him last week :D lol. I call him Limpy

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 299
well whatever it was its gone now , all the negative stuff i heard and thinking it was a flatworm when i saw it last night i got rid of it !!! oh well better safe than sorry. but it does kinda look like your pic sharkey ,oh well cant get him back now !!:dunno:

aww bummer, Limpets are awesome cleaners :) I'm gonna be getting a few more for my 75.... I've had my bout with turbo snails for the algae and the work that the limpet did by himself was AMAZING :) best algae cleaner I've had yet!

actually your drawing looks exactly like the photo I have attached...

those things are called Keyhole Limpets and are good guys :) the white in the middle is actually his shell and the body is his "snail stuff" spreading out :) detravories/algae eaters :) the one in the photo is mine... got him last week :D lol. I call him Limpy

Thanks for the tip Sharkie. Wow those little buggers are cool looking. Is there an online seller with Limpets? I want some.

Chris, I've actually not seen them pop up into the hobby until recently... these species of limpets are found all over Calis coastline so I thought it was odd when I walked into a LFS in watsonville and saw them in every reef tank there was... Thats where I got mine.

I'm sure theres someone online who sells em.... I was told they are pretty recent to the LFS' down here in cali so they might not've reached other places yet? :dunno:

they sure are cool though :) I love watching Limpy clean all the algae, and they feel like velvet :)

The one site that everyone posts about the custom cleanup crew where you email the guy has limpets. But damn if I can remember the name.

Edit: Reefcleaners.org

Last edited:
Back