What is this dandruff floating in my tank?

koda_dad

Mr. Paranoid
IMG_0515.jpg

This is a a 4 day old tank... since this photo was taken the water is crystal clear... except for this dandruff stuff on the top...

I am running a fluval 305 with the fine particle media in (and charcoal)

thanks

I'm not sure you'd want a top on your tank. It can inhibit gas exchange at the surface, trap heat, and are a total B&%$H to keep clean, which also means less light penetrates into your tank.

Looks like your salt crystals didn't mix up 100%. I have that problem sometimes. It looks like tiny flakes of white plastic on the surface of the water.

Solution:
Mix salt in your new RO water AFTER you have warmed it with your heater. Don't dump salt into cold RO water.

Powerhead in the mixing bucket and let it "mellow" for at least 24hrs before adding it to the tank.

More water movement in the tank.

hmm... that could be right too :)

Guess I need to buy another heater.

I have tons of movement in the tank... is a 33 gallon. i have a fluval 305 (260 gph), 2 power heads @ 260 gph each and a protein skimmer with another power head @ 260 gph for a total of 1040 gph :)

I have raised on up to really agitate the surface hopefully that will help.

If it is the salt....how can I fix it? Just syphon it out and put in new stuff?

You can take a paper towel and lay it across the surface of the tank. Then pinch it in the middle and pull it up. It will pick up any crap that's on the surface of the water with it.

No - just mix the salt better before you add it to the tank.

Make sure your fresh RO water is up to temp BEFORE you add the salt crystals. I was having slime problems. I was dumping my salt into 50F RO water. I stopped doing that and now I raise the temp of my RO water to 78F BEFORE I add the salt. No more slime.

I don't know if that's the problem or not. I'm just taking a shot in the dark.

You can take a paper towel and lay it across the surface of the tank. Then pinch it in the middle and pull it up. It will pick up any crap that's on the surface of the water with it.

oh now isn't that a neat trick I never knew that. LOL I just fished with a net like hundreds of floaties that came from bad fish food out with a net.

Yeah my 10 gallon tank is skimmerless and filterless. It's always got crap floating on the surface. That trick works pretty well and pretty quickly :)

Back