What is this? Devils Plaque..

2008pollyanna

Reefing newb
Is this a glass anemone? Is it a pest? Do we leave them be...I have read they can kill other anemone, corals, polpys ect.
Can anyone tell me about this?

Attachments

• Picture or Video 261.jpg
    Picture or Video 261.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 314
looks like aptasia get a pepermint shrimp or you can make a kalk paste and there is also a produt called joes juice that is made to kill them they are a pest.

joes juice works great, sometimes you gotta hit it a second with it the next day. it looks like a good sized one, i would use joes juice on one that large and then get a peppermint shrimp cause theres a good chance you've got another one hiding someone just sprouting where you cant see it

It's bad. Kill it ASAP before it spreads. If your tank is cycling I would skip the shrimp. They are very sensitive.

look at dr foster and smiths.com or marinedeopt. or liveaquaria they may have it. or you could just do a search for it.

marinedepot.com is a awesome site to get most of your reefing needs. thats where i got mine. quick shipping too. You could look at some local saltwater fish stores or maybe petco if you got any around ya.

I used something called "stop aiptasia" and it worked fine. Whatever you use, you will probably end up having to fight the stuff in several rounds.

Don't feel bad. I found one tonight so I need to get something also. Don't have any idea how I got one. Unles it came in on one of my new coral rocks.

Peppermint shrimp are good to get rid of them and keep them gone. But if you have a lot of aiptasia, it's usually too overwhelming for the shrimp to take care of alone. In the past, I've had success using a concentrated salt paste, kalkwasser paste and Stop Aiptasia.

its used as calcium supplement the literal translation is lime water. You can buy kalk mix at the LFS or get Mrs. Field Pickling Lime at the grocery store.

Yeah, you just add RO water to the powder to make up a thick paste and then smother the aiptasia with it. If you go this route, you should only nuke a couple aiptasia at a time because kalk will mess with your pH, calcium and alkalinity.

i have had my tank up for a few days and one came in on my LR. I was happy to see something growing, so i moved it closer to the light. very small, maybe 1/4 inch. i guess tomorrow i will go and pluck it

Plucking it won't work. If it doesn't retract in the rock too quickly for you, it will just grow back from where you took it off.

Back