what is this green leaf/plant like thing growing on my rocks...??

Can anyone ID this green plant like looking thing grow on my rocks. It started about 2 weeks ago and its getting bigger. Right now it’s about half an inch long, looks kind of like a think leaf and there’s a lot of them growing. Would like to know if this is good or bad stuff growing. See pictures below…I tried to get the best shots with my phone. There’s also some dark dark purple leaf/plant like growing as well on the rocks and will get some pictures. I trying to learn whats considered good and bad things growing in my tank. Thanks.

salts001-albums-misc-picture1705-imag1091.jpg

salts001-albums-misc-picture1704-imag1092.jpg

Looks like macroalgae, good if you keep it controlled. This stuff eats all the crap that algaes use to grow, thus reducing the amount of nuissance microalgae in your tank. Its up to you to keep it, but if you do, you might have to trim once in awhile when it gets larger.

The purple stuff could be grape caulerpa, but without pics we cant id it. Thanks for those first two, though!

Interesting...do you think it would be best to move some of it to my refugium if i can salvage it?

and i will throw up some pictures tonight on the other odd looking plant.

thanks.

I can't rember the name of it but is consumes large amounts of calcium....there's a few threads around here sumwhwre with the name of it...check the identification thread

I can't rember the name of it but is consumes large amounts of calcium....there's a few threads around here sumwhwre with the name of it...check the identification thread

I guess this would be more of a bad than good right since I want to retain as much of those supplements for the corals...??

looking through the ID threads now.

thx

I have that green stuff too. Have had it a few months, hasn't multiplied.
If you do a search by user, Marines Wife had a thread about it...

I just had a small piece sprout up in my 24. I haven't added anything to that tank in years. I have no idea why this started growing. :bounce: You never know what might pop up.

i tried to take a few pictures of that second leaf looking things thats growing but my camera phone couldn't get in any closer. it's not like a 4-5 lead maroon looking thing grow. let me know if you can make it out in the pictures.

top center
salts001-albums-misc-picture1727-imag1101.jpg

top to middle left
salts001-albums-misc-picture1728-imag1103.jpg

top left
salts001-albums-misc-picture1729-imag1104.jpg

Back