What Is This? - Identification Problem

ElectricShadow

Reefing newb
I live in China but do not speak technical Chinese (I'm English) and so I am not entirely sure what I bought here. I can't find it anywhere on the web and I'd really like to find out!

I'd also like to know, does it dine on little fish at all? I have had several small fish just dissapear over the last week!

Attachments

• White-and-Black-Invert.jpg
    White-and-Black-Invert.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 794
Does This Eat Small Fish?

Bought this and looks great in the tank, however, since I put it in 6 small fish have disappeared (4 Cardinal Fish, one little black and white guy, and a pink pipe fish). There have been no dead bodies or anything in the tank, so they didn't die... only conclusion is something is eating the fish.

I have 2 suspects, both added as image attachments. Any guidance would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Purple-Anemone.jpg
    Purple-Anemone.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 582
    34.6 KB · Views: 318
No Idea!

I have no clue what this is.... and it moves it's way through my tank really quickly!

Attachments

34.6 KB · Views: 304
Re: Does This Eat Small Fish?

I wouldn't say that just because you didn't see a dead body, that they didn't just die. We have all had fish die for various reasons and be consumed by our cleaning crew before we could find them.

Re: No Idea!

It looks like a white feather starfish to me. As for your missing fish....I dont believe that they are fish eaters. They are primarily zooplankton and phytoplankton feeders.

Those are feather stars in your pics.They are plankton feeders and wont eat fish ( except fry in the plankton stage ).

I wouldn't say that just because you didn't see a dead body, that they didn't just die. We have all had fish die for various reasons and be consumed by our cleaning crew before we could find them.
That's what I thought, but then I figured 6 fish in one day is pushing it! They showed no signs of stress, were eating fine and breathing normally... came home from work, gone!! Very distressing.

Not trying to be an ass.But please don't post multiple threads about the same subject in multiple forums.
I merged all these into one thread.

@yote: Sorry, my bad!

@Everybody else: An update - I watched my tank intently for an entire day and I cracked it! The large purple tube anemone is the culprit! Saw it having a go at 3 fish (and successfully ate 2), next day watched it some more, and it ate one of my small banded coral shrimp! This guy has the munchies constantly!! As a result, I have removed him from the tank and donated him to my LFS.

Back