what is this worm?

jonsbabykake

Reefing newb
i found this in my tank yesterday. its more than 5 inches long cuz ive only seen 5 inches come out at once. it has a crown on its face. its tannish color...the little "bristles" are not like a normal bristle worm..they arent in bunches, theyre kinda like millions of legs (like a centipede) i havent really seen it do anything besides wave itself in the air lol

it doesnt look like a bristle to me (which i have seen plenty)

any one have any ideas?? best shots i could get it only comes out at night and the flash scares it.

DSC_0765.jpg

DSC_0764.jpg

DSC_0761.jpg

DSC_0760.jpg

compared to this normal bristle:

DSC_0762.jpg

is it a goody or a baddy??

from looking at that site, the closest thing i see to it is the one called: Exogoninae in the Syllidae group.

It is certainly unique. I think it looks like one of the syllidae too. Whether it's good or bad is hard to tell, for me personally I'd observe it just cause it's cool, and keep an eye on corals. Since it's over 5" it should be easy to track. It's definitely not one of those normal bristleworms we keep trying to give you guilt trips about; I think I just like to see you squirm as much as they do. :D

Seriously though, if you do decide to take it out, be very careful. No knowing what it's capable of.

It is certainly unique. I think it looks like one of the syllidae too. Whether it's good or bad is hard to tell, for me personally I'd observe it just cause it's cool, and keep an eye on corals. Since it's over 5" it should be easy to track. It's definitely not one of those normal bristleworms we keep trying to give you guilt trips about; I think I just like to see you squirm as much as they do. :D

Seriously though, if you do decide to take it out, be very careful. No knowing what it's capable of.

if i ever do take it out *very safely* im sending it to u kevin since u luv my worms so much lol

You 2 need private room? :wink: :mrgreen:

lol its an ongoing inside joke :p

if i can find the thing tonight, i might try to pull it out with regular cooking tongs lol im thinking maybe thatll be long enough that i wont get eaten alive by it.

If it a Eunicid worm, grab it with tongs, strap a stick of dynomite to it and light the fuse. If you dont kill it it will eat all your zoas. So ive read...

That is if you can positivly ID it..

my zoas have actually all been going away, to the point where i took out the rock they were on because there was like 2 left. ill put it back in and stick a frag of zoas back on it later if i want.

see the problem is its hard to identify because its "bristles" have a much more hair like appearance to them. they blow in the current and i dont think theyre used as legs. and its also got long "whiskers" on its face that look like the other "bristles" too. once i pull it out i will take better pics of it, its really hard to get a good focus with red light and have the flash firing.

Maybe it's an anorexic, self-conscious sea cucumber with body dysmorphic disorder, and that's why he's only comfortable coming out at night. :mrgreen:

And here I thought you just had something against long, hairy things, when it turns out that you might actually have a real invader in your tank. lol

are u calling me a cucumber?! lol :p

i dunno wut long hairy things ur talking about lol, all im against is scary looking worms that can sting me! i wouldnt mind if it was a cucumber or some kinda slug thing lol but no, my tank hates me and gives me nasty things.

Back