What is this?

reefer2b

Reefing newb
I left my light off the other day. In the evening I turned it on and saw two of these. They are light purple on the top and seem to be like slug/snail on the bottom. I've seen them more now; maybe because I know they are there so I'm looking. One is about the size of a dime the other is about half that size.

100_2877-1.jpg

100_2877.jpg

It's a stometella snail,one of the best hitchhikers you can get.They are algae grazers and do a much better job of keeping the rocks sparkling clean,better than those slow ass astreas.

After checking out melevsreef site I was thinking stometella but the one pictured is black. Yay, I got a few good hitchhikers. They sure do move quick for snails.

Stometellas are black or tanish brown like your pic,some have a smooth fingernail shell while others have little frillies on and around the shell.

I have quite a collection of the all black,black with purple shell and tan stometellas.

That is a stometlla. I have some in both my tanks, and reef is right; they do an excellent job of keeping the tank clean.

Back