What is this?

EliWhitney314

Phish Head
Looks like some kind of anemone

001-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

I only have 1 hermit crab, and a few snails. How should I kill it? Can I just rip it out with tweezers? Why is it so bad? should I panic? haha

It's aiptasia, a pest anemone. You can't rip it out with tweezers -- it will grow back. You will need to buy Aiptasia X or Joe's Juice from your LFS and inject it with that. Other people have tried injecting lemon juice, boiling water, and vinegar with some success as well.

Nope! We would not give you advice to medicate your future reef tank with copper! :) But it's a good thing you thought to ask!

The medication is harmless to the other stuff in your tank, and you only need to inject the aiptasia itself, so very little (if any) gets in the water.

Like Sniffles said, peppermint shrimp will take care of them naturally if you prefer to go that route (which I think is a better route anyways).

Well I am buying my live rock this week or the next. Then I will add my cuc after that. Do I have to wait until my live rock is cured before I can put in my cuc?

Yes you should. I would definitely kill the aiptasia before you add your rock. You don't want it to be able to spread onto the new rock.

Just kill them as you see them AND look everyday for signs of new baby ones. They can spread really fast and take over your tank. You can take it easy after 3 or 4 weeks of not seeing one. Sometimes they are under a shell or coral plug doing their nasty thing of spreading and you can't see them. I hate those little bastards with a passion.

Daily inspections of your tank will go a long way!! Killing one or two as you find them is MUCH easier than leaving them be for a week then having to kill 50 of them!

Back