what is this?

tcso1504

Reefing newb
Live rock has been in the tank for a week today..... Can you help me ID some of the things Im seeing on the rock as of today...

First pic is of a black spongey looking thing in the moddle of the rock.. also what are the white things on the wrong?

Second Picture is of some sort of something haha i have no clue .. it looks like some sort of anenome or something..

the third pic is of some white pods on the rock. they dont do anything or anything i know of ...

the last picture is just of my tank, first time setting one up and couldnt of done it without you guys,., thanks again... ps picture doesnt give it justice....

Thought I got a good deal on the live rock, I paid 375.00 for 165 pounds....

1-the white tubes are fanworms/tubeworms-reef safe.I'm not sure about the black thing.Does it move?

2-Aiptasia-pest anemone that stings other coral and reproduce fast.Remove the rock and smear some salt paste on it.Hopefully that is the only one.

3-sponges-reef safe,beneficial.

1-the white tubes are fanworms/tubeworms-reef safe.I'm not sure about the black thing.Does it move?

2-Aiptasia-pest anemone that stings other coral and reproduce fast.Remove the rock and smear some salt paste on it.Hopefully that is the only one.

3-sponges-reef safe,beneficial.

No the black/grayish thing doesn't move at all.. I got rid of the anenome I read how hard they were to get rid of so I just removed the rock it was on and chisseled a small piece of the rock off that it was sitting on..

The sponges , will they grow or just sit there like that?

Thanks again for the help

tcso

Watch that aiptasia rock closely for any others that may spring up. When threatened, aiptasia will release many spores that can take root in other areas of the rock. A pepermint shrimp or two might be a good insurance for you if you've spotted any aiptasia in your tank.

Watch that aiptasia rock closely for any others that may spring up. When threatened, aiptasia will release many spores that can take root in other areas of the rock. A pepermint shrimp or two might be a good insurance for you if you've spotted any aiptasia in your tank.

Just ordered 4 peppermint shrimp...... :)

The sponges will spread, but they are harmless. In fact, they are filter feeders, so they do good. If they do get too big and bug you, you can peel them off.

Hey i was just wondering i thought putting peppermint shrimp in with the tank being so new isnt good for the shrimp. Maybe someone more experienced can answer that.

Back