What is this?

Bifferwine

I am a girl
I'm a n00b. What is this? Some sort of brain? The guy I got it from didn't know. It is encrusting the rock that it is on, and it's about tennis ball sized. They are definitely not blastos or zoas of some type, in case someone was going to suggest those.

001-3.jpg

Last edited:
I think the polyps are too big to be a monti. Good guess though! Keep 'em coming! :D And yes I am a n00b if I:

A) buy something like this without knowing what it is,

and

B) still don't know what it is, three weeks since I bought it!

;)

My Friend McGruff, the coral expert thinks its an Leptastrea

By golly, McGruff appears to be correct! Now I have to look this guy up to learn all about him! Thank you! Are these hard to find or something? Never seen them/heard of them before.

extremely rare and illegal in captivity....lol. I dont know, I'll ask McGruff Tomorow, after he punches me in the gut for calling him McGruff, lolololol.

Definitely Favia Brain. With Favites each polyp shares a surrounding wall with another polyp. You can see in the pic that each polyp has its own surrounding wall.

Definitely Favia Brain. With Favites each polyp shares a surrounding wall with another polyp. You can see in the pic that each polyp has its own surrounding wall.

It's actually a leptastraea. Which is in the family Faviidae. But it's not considered a favia brain.

DR Shimek said there are so many different kinds of brains that even the experts have trouble telling them apart.

Back