what is this?

shahrzad1893

Reefing newb
I have no idea and it does not look good
its a pinkish tube with a wormy looking thing inside

sorry for the poor quality photo i borrowed a crappy camera

603.jpg

Tube worm, aka featherduster.

Edit they are not harmful and are filterfeeders of the water column nothing to be worried about.

its a type of tube worm its harmless they grow on the rocks and filter feed but they are not feather duster its just one of those millions of little names less creatures in a tank

Have you noticed "webs" or "strings" coming out of the opening? It could be a vermetid snail.

no there is nothing coming from them

but i looked it up some more and it said they were sharp to the touch wich these are
should i get rid of them if they are vermetid snails?
are there any natural predators for them?

Last edited:
Erin got it right. :h5: That's the shell of a vermetid snail. If you've never seen anything in it, it's probably empty. If there was a snail living in it, you would know it! The can stretch out up to 10 inches long. They are crazy.

If you don't like it, you can just break it off.

Every once in awhile you can see the little snail antenna poking out of mine. Mostly it's just the "web" that they cast to catch food that pokes out... I had a picture on here somewhere of my big one... I'll see if I can find it.

ehh well if its not harmless im going to leave it alone
im not fond of killing things anyway
he's just chilling nothing to worry about
maybe if it gets too annoying ill break them off

its one of those situations where they arent useually a problem but they could potentialy pull alot of nutrients out of the water if the population is too high but thats unlikely
sorry for the semi unhelpfull answers im honestly trying to give you a straight answer

Back