What is this?

11f150

Reefing newb
Hello everyone. I set up a nano cube about 2 days ago and this is my first time with saltwater. I bought some liverock from my LFS and Ive been noticing some strange things lol. Here is the orange thing inside of a hole in a piece of live rock. It moves in and out, usually when I turn the light on it snaps back inside. Please tell me if I need to get rid of it. Thanks

Here it is when its sticking out a bit
day1-5.jpg

Here it is after is snapped back inside
day1-6.jpg

Hello and Welcome!

I cant see the picture very well but I would guess that it is either a barnacle, a worm of some sort or a feather duster. I wouldnt worry about any of them

Hello and welcome to the site...lil fish has you covered. It's probably nothing harmful, but it's hard to tell from the pics.

That's really the best picture I can get. In person you can't see it any better. Thanks for the replies. If its nothing harmful I guess I can leave it there. It looks pretty creepy haha

Alright I was able to see under that orange "shell" just a tiny bit and Im pretty sure I seen some legs of some sort. Im surprised it hasnt moved at all from that hole since it has mobility. Ill keep watching it.

I have no idea what that thing is, but I'm not on board with the answers given so far! Can you pull it off? If you can grab it and pull it off, take a picture and re-post!

I have no idea what that thing is, but I'm not on board with the answers given so far! Can you pull it off? If you can grab it and pull it off, take a picture and re-post!

Yeah I could figure out a way to pull it out to see what it is but there is a new issue. My tank is beginning to cycle and the ammonia is rising and the orange part on this creature is deteriorating. I believe that is whats happening anyway. If i can find some clean tool around the house and grab it with I will. I have a set out needle nose plyers but Im not putting those in my tank lol.

Back