What is this????

Bluesaltwater87

Aquarium System Design
My bud and i set up his new 155 gallon reef ready tank today and we were going to transfer his liverock in the new tank and i see this white cotten ball with what looks like a feather duster palm sticking out of it. idk what it is i have never seen it. if anyone has any idea please tell me and ill tell him. he is freeking. his tank has been running for 6 years so he is a little worried.
i could not get a pic it would not come out clear. the best way to discribe it is saying to amagin a feather duster coverd in cotton and a tank on a rock.

Sounds like a pineapple or scypha or q-tip sponge. They are one of the most common hitchhikers and are harmless. Six years in the hobby and he's not heard of them or seen them?

well i have never seen them eather. but ya he is right next to me i will have him type in the next section

Hey all!
I have been in the hobby for 8 years and my tank has been running for 6 years. but i was really scaried when i seen it. but thank you all for the input. matt said he will try to take a pic if it comes out clear.

Yeah, those are very common and completely harmless. They are filter feeders, so the more dissolved food you have in your water, the more you will see them. If they do become ugly or pesky, simply pluck them out.

Fish that eat sponges would probably eat them. Like certain butterflies or angels. But they'd starve pretty fast once they finished off the sponge.

Back