what is this?

jmar1925

Reefing newb
I am new to this forum. I just started up a 20 gallon saltwater tank about 2 weeks ago. about a week ago, I noticed something small attached to the glass. It is getting bigger and growing small tentacles. I've been trying to do research but need some other opinions.

Attachments

• unknown1.jpg
    unknown1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 319
IT IS SO SMALL TO SEE. IF IT IS A PEST & IT GETS BEHIND SOMETHING YOU CAN NOT GET RID OF IT. SO IF YOU DID NOT PURCHASE THIS I WOULD GET IT OUT. BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY BUT THAT IS JUST WHAT I WOULD DO.

I tried getting a better picture but my camera is not that great. I first noticed it attached to the glass then slowly but surely it started making its way to the sand. I have been trying to do some research and I think its aiptasia but not sure.

Looks like aiptasia to me too but very small. If you pickup a magnifying glass you can take picks through it for small critters. that's how I do it.

here to that.a right pest .had my share of them.jmar said that it was moving towards the sand .when i had aiptasia i first saw wot looked like small jellyfish floating around the tank .this turned out to be how aiptasia starts then it lands on sumat and grows into an anemone with tentacles(glass anemone).although jmar said it had tentacles with that picture they look spiky and it looks greenish.guys mite b way of the mark here but my first thought was its a tritoniopsis nudibranch.bad for soft corals

here to that.a right pest .had my share of them.jmar said that it was moving towards the sand .when i had aiptasia i first saw wot looked like small jellyfish floating around the tank .this turned out to be how aiptasia starts then it lands on sumat and grows into an anemone with tentacles(glass anemone).although jmar said it had tentacles with that picture they look spiky and it looks greenish.guys mite b way of the mark here but my first thought was its a tritoniopsis nudibranch.bad for soft corals
I thought that too but nudibrach move rather quickly unless they are eating. Aiptasia move very slowly. Which they said it was doing.
Wish the pic was larger.

larger pic would help.cant remember my aiptasia moving at all that why i got a true peppermint shrimp to get rid lol only kidding Aquarian.hope jmar gets it identified

took the critter to the local fish store to take a look at it and they said it was aiptasia. caught it at a very early stage so hopefully I don't have anymore. for further prevention, what would yall suggest to do?

i suggest not to listen to me i got it wrong lol:confused: well when they are disturbed they can release little spores if u like that look like tiny jellyfish that settle and grow again .if you dont see any you may have been lucky.i would wait and see for a while.there are a few ways to get rid anyway :thumbsup:

True peppermint shrimp will eat them, if they feel like it. I remove them manually or inject them with strait calcium which devolves them. Some people use lemon juice, or joes juice. If you have a huge outbreak there is a nudibrach that eats them but that is all it eats and will starve if not rehoused after it cleans the tank of them.

True peppermint shrimp will eat them, if they feel like it. I remove them manually or inject them with strait calcium which devolves them. Some people use lemon juice, or joes juice. If you have a huge outbreak there is a nudibrach that eats them but that is all it eats and will starve if not rehoused after it cleans the tank of them.
i used aiptasia x worked but took ages alot of messing about then i bought new coral on live rock and accidently introduced em again.got peppermint shrimp in a few days they were gone. and have been since

I was thinking about going the peppermint shrimp route but being that the tank is only been setup for 2 weeks, would they survive?

Is the cycle done already? You don't have to add the shrimp, but aiptasia is a common pest on cure LR specially when you buy it from a LFS they almost always have that pest on them, even when they say their LR is free of pests. Don't believe LFS they just want to make sells.

If your tank is already cycle you can add the shrimp, but you will have to feed him because there isn't enough food in your tank for him, mine use to eat frozen food Formula One. Very good food by the way and my fish love it. What are you parameters (Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, PH)? Just curious.

It has only been 2 weeks so I don't believe it is fully cycled. these are the parameters I just measured.
Ph= 8.4
ammonia= .25ppm
nitrite= 0ppm
nitrate= .5ppm

with this being said, I don't know if the shrimp would survive.
Another question and this has nothing to do with the aiptasia. I left work this morning with the water being crystal clear. came home from 10 hours later and the tank has green slime(I'm guessing algae) everywhere. Is this a normal stage in the process or do I have a problem? This is my first tank so I'm new to the process

Back