what is this?

You have ammonia your tank isn't cycle yet. Can you post a picture of your tank? The algae could be some kind of cyanobacteria. How are you cycling the tank? Are you using a raw shrimp? Maybe @Aquarian or @AnthonyTheNewbie can help you with the green slime algae. I have no experience with that one yet.

I pic would be helpfull and some more info on your setup lights filter water pumps.

Sometimes you can get a slime algae while cycling.

I am using LR to cycle.I have a nano 511 canister filter, 50w heater, EVO quad 18" 5W LED. I don't have a skimmer but getting one within the week. would the algae necessarily be a bad thing during the cycling process?

Attachments

• algae.jpg
    algae.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 261
Wow,that's a strong green tint to the water.There is so much micro-algae that it is tinting the water green.Personally,I would cut the lights during the cycling period and do 100% or near that amount until the water clears.The same technique people use when they cycle live rock in a bin.....doing 100% water changes.If you do no water change it will probably clear as time goes on but I bet nitrates will be thru the roof when the algae dies.

Back