what is this......

Rich

Reefing newb
my 8 week old tanK has some action in it but what im wondering is, what is this and do I need to feed it? It came on a piece of rock that I just bought!
i HAVE SOME MINIATURE ONES BUT THIS IS BIGGER, i`D SAY 1.5 INCHES LONG

Upload it to your gallery. Once it is there when you post a reply or start a new thread you will have an option of adding a picture. It is pretty much self explanatory from there.

ill try

what the heck is script prompt?

With out a pic could be anything.Aguess would be a spegetti worm or mabe a bristle worm.they comonly come on rock.Check google out for pics and discription ogf thoose two.If it is they will eat mostly detris(fish poop)

what is this and do I need to feed it? It came on a piece of rock that I just bought!
i HAVE SOME MINIATURE ONES BUT THIS IS BIGGER, i`D SAY 1.5 INCHES LONG
see it in my photos>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Aiptasia

Hi Rich,I believe you have aiptasia in your tank,also called the glass anemone,Ive had a few myself,I brought in a couple of Peppermint Shrimps to get rid of them.Ive done a bit of research,and Ive read that injecting them with LEMON JUICE 3ml also gets rid of them.DONT break them off the rock because they will come back two fold.I dont know if anyone else has heard of this method with the lemon juice,but I prefer a natural remedy instead of chemicals.If you dont get rid they will eventually spread.

That is for sure apitasia. If you feed it anything make sure it kills it. You don't want to let these things spread.

You can inject lemon juice or I would prefer the solution with kalk and water, as this method raises your PH not Lowering it like lemon juice.

Peppermint Shrimp will work, but just like everything else they will take the easy food(flake, mysis, etc) if you feed frequently and not the glass anenome.

My favorite method is to feed them alot so they are big and fat and unable to draw back into a hole in the rock...Then a mixture of Kalk and water to make a thin white liquid (heat in the microwave for just a couple seconds if you need help disolving it) then use a fairly large needle to inject the substance in it.(I buy mine at CVS for 25 cents).

Either way you need to get rid of it or there will be more of them soon and whatever you do don't try to scrape or pull it off the rock.

Hope this helps.
Brandon

ok, thanks! So why are they bad? Ive got smaller ones around the tank, but are small and even reddish in color..... ill try to find a pic, same?

Well they aren't bad if you really like them.

Here is a worst case picture....

dc791.jpg

But they can sting near by corals and once they start they are almost impossible to get rid of, so most chose to instantly remove on site.

Brandon

whatarethese.JPG

heres a pic of mine there are 3 of these, are these the same even though they do not look see through like the glass one?

I don't know if you saw my picture i attached above, but i would personally kill it, of course thats my opinion and I'm sure 98% of the reefing community would agree.

However if you like it and want plenty more to follow, then i guess you could keep it.

Read up what you are showing is for sure aiptasia and are very common and easy to find reading on. Some natural remedies include Copperband Butterflies and Peppermint shrimp.

Hope this helps you.

Just my :twocents:

I agree with Brandon's here on the methods of distruction of this aiptasia.If you are going to inject it let eat first.Small one's a pepermint shrimp should take care of for you.If you dicide to keep them,they will definantly multiple.Maybe not as scary as the picture Brandon posted and I have posted in the past.

Back