What is up with my 29 gallon tank?

grunt

Reefing newb
I have a 29 gallon tank with like 20 pounds of live rock, 1 hang on tank, 2 inches of live sand and a cpr akimmer. it's been set up for a month now, the ammo is on o.1 but the danm nitrate is sky high with a 110. so what might be the malfunction? i waited a week to see if it would go down but it won't give up. i have been doing like 3 gallons at a time water changes like once every 2 weeks and been placing sponges in the tank from my other 55 gallon tank which were hanging out in my wet dry sump for like a week and ahalf to see if i can get as much bacteria as possible but no joy. :frustrat:

wellsmaller tanks are harder anyways. Try larger changes like you had to do with the 55. It may help. Or when you do a change with the 55, use its water in the 29.

you do not need sponges. cause more nitrates, run system without filter media, just water circulation, and do 20 to 30% water changes no less than weekly until you get your nitrates under control. good luck. keep us posted.

I put a hob refugium on my tank made by cpr with macro inside along with 6 gallon(5 gallons changed 1 gallon extra do to evaporation) water changes and my nitrates have droped and stayed close to 0.

new filter

i just got in this new filter i bought on ebay for 40 dollars new and it's a marineland 350 dual bio wheel and 2 cartridges and that will replace the little hang on filter i had on it and hope that reaqlly helps also. i took one of the bio wheels of my other stable filter and swaped it with one of the new ones to speed up the bacteria growth.

lol see, I told you that night on the phone those biowheels cause nitrate issues... Just take them off completely. the filter will still do its job without them.

No this is what happened

i only had small hang on tank filter with just one pad and no biowheels and a cpr baack pak. yesterday i got in a new 350 penguin dual bio wheel hang on like the one on my 55 and i gave it a kick start by swaping one of the cured bio wheels with the new one that i just got in. i tested today and the nitrates went from 110 to 20 in like 3 day, and the ammo is reading now 0.25

What will happen is all biological will be done on the bio-wheel and not the rock
and sand.The nitrates will begin to build on it and leach back into the tank.
if decide to pull the wheel.Fill the spot with bag of seachem denitrate(this stuff will need to come out when exhausted or will be the same as the wheel) or purigan.Maybe a bag of chemipure(carbon with nitrate reduction compounds)Also only take one wheel out at time if you decide to pull them.This let the natural biological to get up to speed.It is cool to see your tanks coming back life again
Keep it up

i agree the wheels cause nitrate problem down the line just tank them of the filter well still do its job adding sponge well also add nitrate if there is a place where there nitrates can build up its going to cause a problem you need to rely my on your live rock for your filter then your hang on good luck keep us posted

ok now

i checked this morning and the ammo is 0.25 and the nitrates are 0. so i guess that new filter helped alot after all.

just keep waiting. Do you ever test for nitrite? Once the ammo is 0, the nitrite will be up. you need to test to see when nitrite hits 0.

The filter prolly helped alot, but sooner or later, its going to cause the nitrates to go nuts again.

A friend of mine told me when i had bio wheels,,it will work temp. but will hurt you in the long run..so I took mine off..He told the reason but i can't remember why,,but when he told me,i understood what he was talking about..mabey someone here can give you the answer..

Last edited:
trust me bro it will cause nitrates later down the line and the reason you have none now is because its a new filter and again the reason for this is because all wast will get caught in filter and thing you cant see the best filter on the planet is live rock and the best skimmer you can buy this is saltwater not fresh water hang on filter are not the way to go for saltwater [ live rock- sumps-skimmer] hang on are made for fresh water good luck bro

rarecoral21 said:
trust me bro it will cause nitrates later down the line and the reason you have none now is because its a new filter and again the reason for this is because all wast will get caught in filter and thing you cant see the best filter on the planet is live rock and the best skimmer you can buy this is saltwater not fresh water hang on filter are not the way to go for saltwater [ live rock- sumps-skimmer] hang on are made for fresh water good luck bro
take a look at my pic of my filter and all you will see is filter sock and a big skimmer my nitrate is never high unless i dont do my water changes i can go a hole month easy and also a big part of cont nitrates is dont over feed this is common for a new person to this hobby

Last edited:
yeah bud

yeah man u got too mutch hi tech stuff there right now all my levels are 0 and i think that new 350 penguin dual bio wheel with one new and another broken in from my 55 gallon is holding it down. let me tell u i know what u mean cause my 55 gallon was nasty all around and once i put that wet/dry the tank after 2 weeks and so far it has been taking all the nasty stuff along with the 125 skimmer like a champ and the set up has only been cycled for a month. i'm not planing on hooking anything else other than this 65w 50.50 light that i just ordered on ebay cause i thing the light from the sun it has not been enough and eaven though the diatoms are forming along with the bubbles under the argonite it needs lighting for the 20 pounds of rock i have in there to bloom right and get it pumping before i add any life and more rock.

Back