What kind of algae is this?

bobby

I like to do bad things.
I have a purple algae that grows in short rough hair like patches. It kind of feels like a brillo pad. Sorry no pics right now as the batteries are charging, but if no one can name it then I'll get a pic up. Hopefully someone can name it and tell me what eats it.

It has been in my tank for some time and hasn't really spread....untill I went without a skimmer and didn't do as many water changes as I should, but it's spreading everywhere now. I scrath it off but it grows right back and my coral don't seem to like it because they don't spread when it's around them.

Thanks for any help. I have been searching the ID pages but can't find a ID.

Wouldn't you know it. As soon as I do this post I believe I figured it out. I think I have purple turf algae. Has anyone had it before and were you able to get rid of i? If so how?

Never mind still looking for an ID. Turf algae looks wispier, longer and softer. The stuff I have is about 1/8 inch long, and rough.

Here's a old pic that I dug up in photobucket. It's the purple brilo like stuff. It has spread a ton since this pic.

mypictures004.jpg

It's harder to see here, but it's now surrounding me PPE's and it's all under and around the macro.
mypictures750.jpg

Last edited:
Your first ID was right Bobby.Its a type of turf algae.
Try googling Entermorpha and see if that'll help.

I googled it, but it says it's a green algae and all the pics looked different, longer softer.

I dont know then.
I did have some on a couple of my rocks,but the tangs pretty much wiped it out.

Hi, It looks good to me, I bet the bug's will be thick in no time, just what you need. Iff it was hair or cyno, it would be different, I wouldn't woory too much. Regards.

Back