What kind of algae is this?

HAWKS12thMAN

NWKRC THUG!
On one of my rocks in my 24 nano this algae keeps popping up. Bubbles form on the rock and then get covered by this purple/green/red slime. I vacuum it off and its back the next day.
0023-1.jpg

0023.jpg

If it's green or silver, it might be bubble algae. Emerald crabs will eat it. And like Freak said, get something to remove phosphates (RowaPhos or PhosBan).

I have had cyano before but nothing that looked like this..... This stuff is beautiful. My gut reaction was cyano but I figured I would get some other opinions first. Last time I used erithromisin. I would rather not do that again. I already did a 50% water change and it came right back. I cut back on my light exposure also.
Its in a JBJ nano cube.... So I don't have a skimmer on it. Does anyone know of a cheap, effective skimmer for the cubes?
Also the sump (I guess you would call it) has a spot I could drop some macro algae in. How much light does the macro require? I have never used macro before so I'm unfamiliar with its demands. I know D. French hooked up a light to his nano sump. So, if I really had to have light I could ask him how he did it.

I have a 12 gallon Nano cube I have had set up for 3 years, I do a gallon water change weekly, when I slack and skip my water change I always end up with the same algae (cyno) but after I catch back up it goes away. I also added a spliter to my inlet and a piece of locline length and put in a bigger power head in the back. Make sure that your water filters are good so that you are not adding Phosphates in there, you can also put some calerpa in the tank. It won't work in the back unless you can put a light on it, which I have heard of people modify.

Winyfrog, going to go off topic here. seriously how hard is it to take a couple pics. I think we all want to see your setup, so where is it :)

Back