what kind of algea is this??

imdaring

love my reef
OMG I can't take it any more What kind of algea is this and how do I get rid of it !!!!
this stuff is nasty

here is a vidoe of it it the 3rd one in on photo bucket it has the yellow tang swimming by it

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e137/imdaring/
PPM
Nitrates are 0
nitrites 0
amonia 0
phosphate 0
KH 179
cal 360
OUT OF PH KIT GETTING A NEW ONE

Last edited:
looks like brown diatom algae usually everyone gets this when tank is new its part of cycle. Just watch not to add to many fish to quick and don't overfeed and keep decent flow in tank.

the tank is not new I have had it up and running as a reeef tank for a year now and had fish only of about 5 years b/4 that???

looks like brown diatom algae usually everyone gets this when tank is new its part of cycle. Just watch not to add to many fish to quick and don't overfeed and keep decent flow in tank.

tonga fighting conchs or other conchs and sandsifting gobies will help keep sandbed clean but get a watchman gobie and not the sleeper gobie species cause there real messy with sand.

most of those pics on photo bucket are old the first 3 are just from today the rest are from when it was first set up as a reef

not sure why your having problems then unless light bulbs need changed, overfeeding or fish foods containing to much ash content, not enough flow on sandbed. Do some more frequent water changes that might help also.

??? K,
lights are only about 4 months old
I only fee frozen foods except I do use Zooplex ?? would that be it?? this is the first time I have used zooplex
I have been doing a water change every 3 weeks

i would definitely trade you though i have been fighting some awful bubble algae outbreak that is worse than anykind i have had stuff grows in a big mat and are very small bubbles.

How can people get algae outbreaks when their nitrates and phosphates are at zero? I'm assuming people had a spike in 'trates that cuased the algae.

How can people get algae outbreaks when their nitrates and phosphates are at zero? I'm assuming people had a spike in 'trates that cuased the algae.

just because a test kit says 0 does not mean they are really at 0. usually when they are 0 there is something there that is using them to keep them that low and with time and the little amounts things grow and if they die they release it all back into the water than things grow faster the next time.

Phosphates stay in the water column for approximately 7 seconds before they are taken up by algae, so the algae is using the nutrients as fast as they are being produced, thus they don't show up on a test kit.

I love cupcakes. I love cupcakes A LOT. If NDB baked my cupcakes every day, I'd be eating cupcakes all the time. But if you came over to my house, you probably wouldn't see any cupcakes sitting on the counter, they'd all be in my belly. But just because you don't see any on the counter, you can't assume I'm not getting a steady diet of cupcakes. I am! I just eat them so quickly that you never get a chance to see them sitting around in my kitchen.

I had posted a while back that I was having a problem with hair algae in my sump but every one told me to just leave it, that is most likely why mine are at 0 then ??? makes sense

Phosphates stay in the water column for approximately 7 seconds before they are taken up by algae, so the algae is using the nutrients as fast as they are being produced, thus they don't show up on a test kit.

I love cupcakes. I love cupcakes A LOT. If NDB baked my cupcakes every day, I'd be eating cupcakes all the time. But if you came over to my house, you probably wouldn't see any cupcakes sitting on the counter, they'd all be in my belly. But just because you don't see any on the counter, you can't assume I'm not getting a steady diet of cupcakes. I am! I just eat them so quickly that you never get a chance to see them sitting around in my kitchen.

Back