What kind of fish is this??

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
My buddy has 150g tank. He found this guy digging a new home for himself under his live rock. He said he's lost several corals to him moving sand on top of them. He said he had to have come in on live rock, because he never bought him..and the last piece of rock he bought was almost a year ago!

Any ideas?? He's getting big pretty quick and is wondering what it is!

1327891274.jpg

Wow, what an ugly little beast! I've never seen anything like it! If no one here knows the answer, this is one that's worth submitting to the masters at Wet Web Media, IMO.

It has an eel like body and whiskers! It has a VERY large mouth. He and I are both worried it could start eating some of his livestock soon(if it hasn't already). Best estimate is about 5 or 6". It's kind of a striped pattern along it's flank.

It resembles a toadfish, but I could be way off base here.

If that is indeed a toadfish it will definitely eat whatever it can get down its throat. They are very territorial and aggressive, some species will actually make an audible noise used as a mating call. From what I've heard it can get pretty annoying.

Last edited:
seems like a toadfish to me also, some come in very interesteing colors, the red eyes seem like the flash reflection

You guys are right on the money. It does indeed look just like a gulf toadfish! Now to catch the little bugger before he gets any bigger.

Thanks so much for the help!

Back