what kind of fish should i use to cycle my tank

ADT

Reefing newb
my 47 gallon tank needs to be cycled should i use a clownfish or some type of damsel or maybe some thing else.

Clownfish are types of damsels, and are a good choice. I would also recommend a green chromis or two. Avoid blue damsels, striped damsels, and domino damsels. They are super aggressive and will survive the cycle, but will terrorize any other fish you add later on and you won't be able to catch them to take them out.

Throw in a 1/2 inch piece of marine shrimp, fresh not frozen. this will kick off the cycle process. (I should say, not to buy your shrimp at the fish store. grocery store or fish market, these are the big shrimp about the size of your thumb/finger round).

Bifferwine said:
Clownfish are types of damsels, and are a good choice. I would also recommend a green chromis or two. Avoid blue damsels, striped damsels, and domino damsels. They are super aggressive and will survive the cycle, but will terrorize any other fish you add later on and you won't be able to catch them to take them out.

How true my brother in law made that mistake when they do survive it they feel it is all their territory and go postal if you add another fish however some local pet stores offer buy back on the damsels so you could cycle and afterwards if you can catch them sell them back to the store for credit hope this helps.

Back