What Kind of Worm Is This?!

Gooseman

Reefing Is An Obsession
This little guy just showed up in my tank yesterday. I have no clue what it is. Is it good or bad? Can anyone ID this critter?? I can't seem to get the picture to load up. You may have to click on my photo gallery.

Last edited:
4_99151.jpg

is this it? all you have to do is paste the link that says bb image code in the thread and it will post up just fine. I'm on my phone so I can't get a good look. ill check it later

is this it? all you have to do is paste the link that says bb image code in the thread and it will post up just fine. I'm on my phone so I can't get a good look. ill check it later

Wow redline, that's some hardcore dedication to LR. I'm impressed.

almost looks like some kinda of nudibranch not a worm. something like this

Thuridilla_hopei_04.jpg

i couldnt id one exactly that color but it looks more like that than a worm to me. If so you want to be careful of it dying in your tank, they are toxic and can crash a system if its big enough and dead in there for too long

cthegame said:
Wow redline, that's some hardcore dedication to LR. I'm impressed.

thats how i roll :cool:

Last edited:
im almost positive that is what it is. i have searched high and low and could not find an exact id for it though. found tons of other species of them but not that exact one. sorry.

Its definitely some kind of nudibranch.
Good or bad,I dunno.So many of them are predators,get it out but it looks bare in your tank.It will probably starve to death anyways.

it is a nudibranch. They tend to be harmless, but die very quickly that one, I believe it is a purple nudi, feeds on sponges, but will likely be dead in a few weeks. If you are uncomfortable with it, pull it as some Nudibranchs do eat corals. Pay attention to your corals and see if any don't open up all the way, it could be snacking on them. But, I bet my money on it being harmless.

-Doc

I'm like everybody else,Dont know if its a good one or a bad one.But I'd be willing to bet that your LFS would give you some pretty good credit on it just because of it color.

One of the LFSs here in Chattanooga has some of those that same color in their reef tank.They sale em for 50 bucks a pop.

Back