What kinf of Starfish is this?

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
I got this about 9 months ago when it was really tiny and it has been tooling around the tank and getting large. Never really knew what kind it was but it has yet to ever eat any coral because I have none missing.

Now that it is getting big I am a little concerned it could eat something.

Looks like a typical Sea Star but I have no idea what kind.

photo(2) by Phastroh1, on Flickr

Thanks but if you see it in person it doesn't really look like that. It is closer if you compare the pix but since I see it here I can see it is not the same.

Close one though, thanks.

Hmm maybe. It came from this place over here that is the supplier for many stores around the country.

They typically do not talk much haha. They started selling fish and corals a while back but man you go in there and can get snails and crabs for super cheap in large quantities normally.

I did get a batch of dead snails one time though. They have some strange things in the holding tanks like eiwww. I see even Puffers just hangin out.

This is the only pic I have of mine but it looks similar

8239170111_48fd6d23b7_o.jpg

All your spike are similar, this one has many different shapes like your stone walkway haha.

It may be the same one though or a relative. I am sure they both came from the Florida coast though.

Never heard of a reef safe starfish- besides the sandsifter

Serpent, brown brittle, linkia... and that's just a few that are reef safe.

And FWIW, I would never put a sandsifter in my tank. It will deplete your sand bed of pretty much everything and then die of starvation.

Just went back yesterday and bought another the size of a quarter. $5 I asked what it was and she said it is just a Florida Starfish but didn't know the exact name.

I also got a large 4 part sponge of only $5 all the sponges are $5 no matter how big unlike the ripoff stores that want $20.

All their corals are $20 no matter the size. She does wholesale and this area is probably just an extra area that pay her few employees. They had a nice pink brain coral I may get.

Oh I also bought for $3 these little plants that grow tiny ball shaped nodule things the fish eat. One day and they were gone like the wind but they said they should grow back.

Their Fiji rock is $5 a pound but one guy said Gulf Rock is illegal to sell or pick so I was like yeah but what if you lease like Richard. He said he can't be adding more rock anymore but I don't believe it.

The owner wanted me to bring in my 15"+\- bubble coral but I was like I'm not taking it out and transporting it in case you offer me less than I will take. I showed her a photo or three. She kind of didn't respond haha. I am gonna see if my friend who owns a shop wants to trade even though he will make out the best.

Last edited:
Back