what lights do i need for my 20 gallon tank?

Please dont think we are trying to badger you. All of us here want to see you succeed. Remember that fish stores exist to make money, they don't always have your interests (or the fish's) in mind

You can ALWAYS come here to ask questions and verify the information that your fish store is giving you. I would also research fish you are interested in ahead of time, so that you have some idea about what their requirements are.

Welcome to the site, hopefully you'll find it useful

Now - on to LED's. There are no 'hoods' per say, but PAR38's screw into a normal light socket, so with a little bit of creativity you could easily come up with some sort of canopy for your tank that would hide the lights

Marineland does make a reef capable LED fixture that several people have had some success with, but in deeper tanks I do not personally feel it is a viable option. Personally, if I were setting up one of these smaller nano tanks I think I would go with the PAR38 bulbs. If you are electronically inclined there are also several places that sell DIY kits, which lets you build the fixture with whatever colors you want. But again, you would need to come up with some sort of canopy if you want to hide the lights

As far as specs of LED's go, you basically have a few things to consider. The first is the color of the LED's. Most fixtures have either warm or cool white LED's (you really want the warm white, they are better looking to most people than the cool whites), as well as blue, and royal blue LED's. Some of the more advanced fixtures have started incorporating greens, reds, cyans, UV, and others to try and fix a perceived issue with coral coloration

The next thing to look at is watts. You cannot compare watts of LED directly to MH or T5, as LED's create far more usable light for coral than traditional lighting per watt. For an example, I replaced 1000 Watts of MH and T5 with 225 Watts of LED, and I can really only run those 225 Watts at about 65% or I start melting things. In general, most fixtures will use 3 Watt LED's - usually Cree's, Lexueons, or Bridgelux LED's. There are also less expensive fixtures (or fixtures meant for shallower tanks) that use 1 Watt LED's as well

Along with wattage, LED's can be run with optics or without. Optics serve as a means to focus the light output of an LED (similar to a reflector for traditional llight) Optics are rated in degrees, the lower the degrees, the narrower the light is focused. The wider the degrees, the better spread you will get from the LED (and likely the higher you will need to mount the LEDs to get the light coverage to look 'right)

As I already stated, I would look at PAR38 bulbs, or the AI Sol NANO for a 20 gallon tank

Please dont think we are trying to badger you. All of us here want to see you succeed. Remember that fish stores exist to make money, they don't always have your interests (or the fish's) in mind

You can ALWAYS come here to ask questions and verify the information that your fish store is giving you. I would also research fish you are interested in ahead of time, so that you have some idea about what their requirements are.

Welcome to the site, hopefully you'll find it useful

Now - on to LED's. There are no 'hoods' per say, but PAR38's screw into a normal light socket, so with a little bit of creativity you could easily come up with some sort of canopy for your tank that would hide the lights

Marineland does make a reef capable LED fixture that several people have had some success with, but in deeper tanks I do not personally feel it is a viable option. Personally, if I were setting up one of these smaller nano tanks I think I would go with the PAR38 bulbs. If you are electronically inclined there are also several places that sell DIY kits, which lets you build the fixture with whatever colors you want. But again, you would need to come up with some sort of canopy if you want to hide the lights

As far as specs of LED's go, you basically have a few things to consider. The first is the color of the LED's. Most fixtures have either warm or cool white LED's (you really want the warm white, they are better looking to most people than the cool whites), as well as blue, and royal blue LED's. Some of the more advanced fixtures have started incorporating greens, reds, cyans, UV, and others to try and fix a perceived issue with coral coloration

The next thing to look at is watts. You cannot compare watts of LED directly to MH or T5, as LED's create far more usable light for coral than traditional lighting per watt. For an example, I replaced 1000 Watts of MH and T5 with 225 Watts of LED, and I can really only run those 225 Watts at about 65% or I start melting things. In general, most fixtures will use 3 Watt LED's - usually Cree's, Lexueons, or Bridgelux LED's. There are also less expensive fixtures (or fixtures meant for shallower tanks) that use 1 Watt LED's as well

Along with wattage, LED's can be run with optics or without. Optics serve as a means to focus the light output of an LED (similar to a reflector for traditional llight) Optics are rated in degrees, the lower the degrees, the narrower the light is focused. The wider the degrees, the better spread you will get from the LED (and likely the higher you will need to mount the LEDs to get the light coverage to look 'right)

As I already stated, I would look at PAR38 bulbs, or the AI Sol NANO for a 20 gallon tank

I haired wanted to say thank you for the help and I don't think ur badgering me lol. I just returned the tang. Better safe than sorry I think. I saw a 1watt led fixture thing for 80 bucks. I really want to just buy that do u know if that will work?

And all of those nano fish are tiny and my gf isn't a fan. Is there somewhere else I can find a more complete list of fish I can use?

Those are the most common nano fish, anything else will become much more expensive and harder to find.

I would go with a pair of clowns, they are really fun and colorful and have tons of personality. My clowns always come greet me when I get home and are constantly checking out what im up to when I sit by the tank. They are also the first to realize that im walking towards the tank with dinner.

The LFS said u can't get 2 clown fish together. Do I have to get certain ones? And can I have a Orange one and a black one and keep my coral beauty?

as long as they are the same species they will be happy together. But to reduce fighting when you introduce them, make sure the one you add is either much bigger or much smaller than the one you have. The black and orange clowns are usually the same species but can you post a picture of the clown you have now? That way we can check the species and make sure its ok to add the the black one.

And the coral beauty will outgrow that tank, but should be ok in there with the clowns for a few months. I would consider replacing the CB with a yellow watchman goby, those guys are really cool. Or you could do a different type of goby and try and pair him with a shrimp.

as long as they are the same species they will be happy together. But to reduce fighting when you introduce them, make sure the one you add is either much bigger or much smaller than the one you have. The black and orange clowns are usually the same species but can you post a picture of the clown you have now? That way we can check the species and make sure its ok to add the the black one.

And the coral beauty will outgrow that tank, but should be ok in there with the clowns for a few months. I would consider replacing the CB with a yellow watchman goby, those guys are really cool. Or you could do a different type of goby and try and pair him with a shrimp.

ill post a picture later i think its just the normal orange and white clownfish it was $15 bucks at the LFS. hes pretty small and hasnt grown in 5 months. on a side note i don plan on upgrading in august to either a 55 gallon or a 120 gallon if i can get a good deal. i made a different post about that but these fish wont stay in this tank forever.and what do u mean by a goby pairing with a shrimp?

Man this whole tank seems out if wack. So is there not affordable led hood system? And that sucks about the starfish my gf just got it and she really likes it. Is there any starfish that is reefsafe?

I think Northstar has you covered with the different types of lights.

What are you looking to keep.

AI Sol nano might work for you.

You also might look into Ecoxotic Panorama Pro Modules? If you have a hood or a fixture, you could install the modules in the existing hood or fixture. Maybe 2 or 3 modules would work for you, or 2 modules and a stunner strip. Eack module is under $90 and a tranformer, so 2 modules + transformer would put you maube just over $200

I added 3 pro modules and 2 stunner strips to my tank to compliment my PC lighting and so far, it is working out for me. The nice thing is you can place the modules over rockwork where corals will be to focus the light where it is needed most.

It really depends on what you want to keep.

Coral beauties are one of my favorite fish and not always reef safe. I have kept one sucessfully with no harm to LPS corals, but that was in a 48" long 60gal tank where she had a lot of space to swim. Not sure if the CB would be stressed in a 20g. That may cause issues with her picking at corals.

Good Luck! Post up some pics when you are done.

Last edited:
Coralife Lunar Aqualight Quad T5 HO Aquarium Light Fixture - Fish Tank Lights from petco.com

24 AquaticLife LED 9.6W 10K/460 nm Expandable - $79.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

would this work for lighting? sorry most of what u guys are saying for the lighting doesn't make sense to me. and i just realized that im assuming whatever i get im going to have to modify the top of my tank.

I do not see any information on the number of LED's on that fixture so i would pass on it personally, if you're really looking at 1 Watt fixtures I would look at either the EcoXotic fixture or possibly the Marineland Reed Capable LED - depending on how deep your tank is.

If you are really serious about upgrading in the near term, then you really should look at something that is modular and that can be expanded when you upgrade. Since you're looking at much wider, deeper tanks - I would seriously consider an AI Sol, Maxspec Mazzara, or something else that is modular. That way you can re-use whatever you purchase for this tank with the new one

here is my tank our clown fish the top and if someone could tell me what the anemone i have is that would be awesome. its never ballooned up like that before usuallly it has white tenticles with pink purple tips

Attachments

• IMAG0128.jpg
    IMAG0128.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 272
  • IMAG0143.jpg
    IMAG0143.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 264
  • IMAG0219.jpg
    IMAG0219.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 283
  • IMAG0220.jpg
    IMAG0220.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 276
I do not see any information on the number of LED's on that fixture so i would pass on it personally, if you're really looking at 1 Watt fixtures I would look at either the EcoXotic fixture or possibly the Marineland Reed Capable LED - depending on how deep your tank is.

If you are really serious about upgrading in the near term, then you really should look at something that is modular and that can be expanded when you upgrade. Since you're looking at much wider, deeper tanks - I would seriously consider an AI Sol, Maxspec Mazzara, or something else that is modular. That way you can re-use whatever you purchase for this tank with the new one

i appreciate the help i think i will remember this and save money till august and maybe get the Al sol. it seems to be everyones favorite.

That clown is looking really rough, is he still eating?

And I would return that nem ASAP! They are some of the more challenging animals to keep, requiring pristine water conditions and very high lighting. If you dont have good enough lights to keep corals, then you really dont have enough lighting to keep any nem. Also no healthy nem is that white, they should be at lest a pale brown. We dont recommend people keep a nem in tanks under a year old because of how hard they are to keep and they can nuke the tank if they die.

But from your description I would say that its a condy nem.

That clown is looking really rough, is he still eating?

And I would return that nem ASAP! They are some of the more challenging animals to keep, requiring pristine water conditions and very high lighting. If you dont have good enough lights to keep corals, then you really dont have enough lighting to keep any nem. Also no healthy nem is that white, they should be at lest a pale brown. We dont recommend people keep a nem in tanks under a year old because of how hard they are to keep and they can nuke the tank if they die.

But from your description I would say that its a condy nem.

he doesnt seem to be actively trying to eat but i think he is eating alittle bit i just put some stuff in the water to help heal fins and wounds. idk if that will help. we have had the nem (is that the abbreviation?) for a few months now he hasnt gotten very big but he seems fine. ive never seen him get all blown up like that. i usually give him a pinch of flake food twice a day. i just bought shrimp pellets to feed him.

sorry that light really wont keep alot.. you will want a 4 bulb fixture like this
Catalina Aquarium
Not saying it has to be that one but if you are going to go with t-5 get at least a 4 bulb with individual reflectors....

First off, welcome to the site; I'm glad you are asking questions!

Second, your LFS sounds like he is on crack. Clowns are the most commonly paired fish in this hobby. If he said that clowns cannot exist in pairs, he doesn't know what he's doing. That, coupled with the fact that he told you you could put a tang in a 20 gallon really makes me feel bad that you have gotten some crappy advice from someone that should know better.

Next up, definitely return that anemone. They need stronger lighting than most corals. If the anemone gets sick or dies, it can wipe out everything else in the tank with it.

As for lighting, for a 20 gallon I would go with a 4-bulb T5 setup like the one previously linked to.

I have had the Marineland Reef Capable LED on my tank for about 2 weeks now and love it. So do the corals! I know of others on the forum that have it and love it too! What do you have for filtration in your tank? I think you would benefit from more live rock and possibly a good skimmer.

I have had the Marineland Reef Capable LED on my tank for about 2 weeks now and love it. So do the corals! I know of others on the forum that have it and love it too! What do you have for filtration in your tank? I think you would benefit from more live rock and possibly a good skimmer.

I just have a hanging on the back thing. Premium aquatics is close to my place and they have dry rock for 1.50 a pound I'm going to pick up some more this weekend. Based off my pictures how many more pounds do I need? I really just want to find an affordable option for lights. I know u guys have mentioned a lot. :-( 250 is still more than I can do but maybe ill find a used light somewhere. And I'm just surprised that the nem is doing back cause it send fine I feed it twice a day and its never seems unhealthy.

Back