what non-living sand and where to get it?

jkeating2005

I am Addicted for sure!
I am located in florida. I have a 125 gallon tank and about 50lbs of live sand that i will be using to seed non living sand.

But my Question is where are my options of getting Sand that isn't living.

What is the average price of Non live sand?

and i know you can have problems but will sand from the ocean (a few miles offshore) work since i have yet to cycle this tank?

thanks,
Joe

Sand from the Ocean would have to be more than a few mile's off shore. That's JMO I could be wrong.

Dry sand is normally about $1 a pound.

If you can get the sand a few mile off-shore,that'd actually be perfect.But be sure to check with your local fish and game officer before you get it.You dont want to break any wildlife laws and end up with a big fine.
If you buy the sand.As long as its aragonite sand,it'll work.

Whatever you choose,make sure it is aragonite base sand.

Dr. Foster and Smith sells sand at a flat rate,no extra charge for heavy items.I've ordered 250lbs for around $15 shipping.You can get 30lbs-$25/40lbs-$35 plus shipping.

I too am from Florida and would advise against using any wild wet sand. Its not the sand as much as what comes with it. I have set up a few experimental tanks with wet sand collected from various locals around south Florida and its always full of unidentifiable things that a good percentage of you probably would not want in your aquarium. Another percentage of it can not live in a tank and the ensuing die off makes quite a mess.

If you can find a secluded spot to collect dry white (west coast) you could probably use that after cleaning and soaking. It is not aragonite but vary little of your tanks buffering comes from substrate any way.

Over the last few years I have come to question the use of sand in general since it tends to become a nutrient sink no matter what and tends to lower the ph rather than buffer it. It kind of depends on what direction you intend to take with the tank. IMO the two worst things for a reef tank are fish and sand. IMO if this is to be a reef tank fish should only be used in the capacity of feeding the corals. Meaning one or two small species. As for sand its fine for a soft coral tank but for high flow sps/lps forget about it. In the long run you will be glad you did.

Last edited:
I've heard of people going with sand free tanks. I've also heard of sand beds getting stirred up, creating a cloud of detritus and an ensuing nitrate spike killing everything.

The sand belongs in the sump/fuge, if you run one. A relatively small unlit deep sand bed can export nitrates at an amazing rate and can be cut off from the display via plumbing and replaced without problem.

Back