What sand should I use?

Humuhumununu

Reefing newb
Hi. I'm getting a new tank andI was thinking of a medium-grade "reef" sand. Do you guys have any recommendations on what brand of sand, or where I should get it from? My local retailers don't carry it in the amount I need.

Feedback is much appreciated. Thanks.

I can't recommend a specific brand. As long as it's aragonite sand, it will be fine. I have mostly just bought it at Petco or Petsmart. There's no need to spend extra on live sand -- dry sand will become live with a little bit of time in the tank. Drs. Foster and Smith has flat rate shipping for heavy items like sand. Their prices are very reasonable. When I set up my 240, I had to buy A LOT of sand -- like 400 lbs of it. I ordered it all from Drs. Foster and Smith because shipping for the whole thing was like $40 or something crazy.

Check out Reefrocks.net You can get 40# of aragonite for 25 bucks and that includes shipping. My shipment was really nice sand. I will tell you that it took almost a month for it to get here from when I ordered it, but for that price the wait was worth it. I talked with the owner several times and he was very apologetic that it was taking so long. He had some issues with his sand guy. I will definitely order from them again even if it does take awhile to ship. I just ran my tank barebottom for a bit.
I'm not really sure if the sand is considered live or dry. It is just advertised as cleaned and washed. It was a little damp when I got it, no water in it, just damp. It's a lot prettier looking than the dry sand I seen at Petco.

+1 Bifferwine and +1 KelliZackMOM
I got my sand from Reefrocks.net beautiful stuff and pretty cheap, specially if you buy rock from him. I got 80lbs for $30.00 because I bought 50lbs dry rock. His name is Steve and he is very good to work with.

Back