What should I put in my 'fuge???

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
I'm setting up a new sump with a fuge and I'm wondering what's the best way to set up the fuge. Sand? Live rock? Green stuff (no idea what's what)? Critters?
Help!!!!! :shock:

Try to get a deep sandbed, Chaetomorpha algae and if you want you can add a bottle of pods or some rock.

Last edited:
I just use live rock rubble and cheato. That way I can blow stuff around with a powerhead. I have never seen so many pods in my life.

I have 2 power sweep ones. My fuge is 25 gallons tough. Some people put a power head in their fuge to keep their cheato ball rolling. That way it all gets light, and there aren't dead spots.

Ok so some say sand, some no sand.
Cheato seems to be a given.
What is the benefit of sand in the fuge?
No one yet has mentioned any inverts.
What about that other plant life I keep hearing about like Mangrove?

Snails would be the only inverts that I would put in there. Sand is up to you, so is other plants. Just cheato works great for me.

I actually paid the $$$$$$ for the mud :mrgreen: -- costs a hell of a lot more than plain ole sand, but I only have to put in about an inch or 2 of it and from what everyone's said it works wonders for the water! I've just got a ball of chaeto in it, very minimal water flow (25% of the tank water plus half skimmed water)...just enough ripple to break the surface, but doesn't disturb all my li'l pods growing in there.

Yes....according to my lfs and the mud's manufacturer, after 2 years, I should change half of the mud. I only had to use half the bag of mud, too. So I'll just buy a smaller bag next time.

Back