What Should My Next Fish Be?

What Should Be My Next Fish?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I still think a 75 is kind of small for any Trigger. Mine was three inches when I got him six months ago. He's six and a half inches now.

Yep, they grow very fast.

Not all of em...Humus have a very slow growth rate...clowns very fast...its so strange how different they are...my clown has long passed my humu in size,and i've had the humu almost 2 yrs longer and the clown was smaller when i got it...I actually kept my humu in a 75 for about a year..maybe he's stunted:scratchch......,but everything i read say they are very slow growers

Last edited:
Well,i guess it depends on what you consider reef safe...they will probably eat any and all inverts.....but don't mess with corals(they do pick up and move stuff)....i am actually pretty happy with how my tank is growing ,i have a hammer,duncans ,rics and shrooms and so far they are doing fine...

Hm... my Niger picks the snails and crabs up, but never with intent to eat. Always with intent to rearrange. And how he rearranges.

I'm so jealous of you guys with the big tanks. My LFS was selling their 2 in. Niger triggers for $25. I admit, I wanted to get him and go buy a giant tank.

Since your tank looks fantastic and you obviously know what you are doing.I'll go ahead and give you special premission to get a trio of anthias(bartlett or lyretails) or one of the very nice fairy wrasse,go ahead and splurge,get a mated pair of Hawaiian flame wrasse.

I take it that a clownfish and flame angel won't live well with a 2 in. Niger Trigger in an appropriate sized tank? As he grows he will become more aggressive won't he.

I'm still new to the hobby : )

I take it that a clownfish and flame angel won't live well with a 2 in. Niger Trigger in an appropriate sized tank? As he grows he will become more aggressive won't he.

Clowns and angels would be just fine with a Niger trigger. Most of the time fish will only be aggressive with other fish from their family. So if you were to have two different types of angels they most likely wouldn't get along. Or, if you have two types of fish that look similar to each other like some kinds of gobies and Blennies.

Clowns and angels would be just fine with a Niger trigger. Most of the time fish will only be aggressive with other fish from their family. So if you were to have two different types of angels they most likely wouldn't get along. Or, if you have two types of fish that look similar to each other like some kinds of gobies and Blennies.

You are the master reefer, so I trust you. Makes a lot of sense when I think about it now. I was just afraid that once he got bigger he'll all of a sudden turn on the smaller fish.

You are the master reefer, so I trust you. Makes a lot of sense when I think about it now. I was just afraid that once he got bigger he'll all of a sudden turn on the smaller fish.

Definitely not a master reefer but, thank you. With this hobby anything and everything can happen but, for the most part, that combination should be ok.

Definitely not a master reefer but, thank you. With this hobby anything and everything can happen but, for the most part, that combination should be ok.

So true....but yes ,triggers should get along with angels and clowns...mine do...but mine also ate a newly introduced flame hawk....i would say triggers should go in last....

Dang, sorry about your flamehawk. I love all my fish, even my freakin blue damsel. I introduced a scooter into the tank and first thing he does is swim up next to him and gives him a slap of his tail. Kind of a tank hazing lol. But yeah, I'd hate to see a trigger all of a sudden turn on one of my fish.

I choose tangs but to reference my vote it will need to be either a yellow or a yellow eyed kole tang. IMO the only two that will go in a 75 gallon tank.

Mine leaves almost everything alone. Every once in a while he'll face off with my Sailfin but nobody ever gets hurt. I also have a pair of Maroon clowns and the male is very small still (as he should be)... maybe an inch and a half (and I'm being very generous). The trigger leaves him alone... the only thing he ever really went after was my tiny sleeper goby, and he's way too fast for the trigger to catch him.

But he should definitely be the last thing you put in as a precaution....
And BL is being modest. He knows his stuff...

I knew he was a master reefer : )

Is it common to mainly see Niger triggers at LFS's? I mean, I live in Hawaii and I haven't seen a juvenile Humu before. I've seen a ton of Nigers though and one Undulated. My reason for asking is that LA says the Humu won't be as large as a Niger full grown. Ah, the pains of choosing fish.

I don't really know about everywhere else... but we get a fair share of different triggers here (in Denver). Nearly every store here has Nigers every time I go in, but I've also seen pink tails, clowns, picassos, undulated, and a blue throat.
I used to work for Petco (it's been years, though) and we used to get Nigers, Clowns and Picassos on a regular basis.
And I don't know how big the others get, but I know my Niger can get to a foot at least. I've seen one that was 16" at least at an LFS here.

Back